TRACK & FIELD | Monumental Efforts From Younger Hoyas Athletes Grants Georgetown With a Noteworthy Turnout at the Virginia Challenge

The Georgetown men’s and women’s track and field teams achieved tremendous success at the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Va. on April 16, landing notable top 10 finishes. In addition to these high-ranking successes, multiple Hoyas set personal records during the meet. 

In the men’s 800-meter contest, the men’s team had an outstanding turnout, putting Georgetown on the board as a top contender in the event. Sophomore Matthew Payamps ended the race on top, placing first with a personal best time of 1:48:81 in the event. Additionally, Payamps’ time awarded him an NCAA national rank of 28th overall in the 800m. Junior Ethan Delgado also enjoyed a successful finish. Trailing Payamps, Delgado set a personal record with a time of 1:50.44, placing seventh in the competition. 

Sophomore Parker Stokes tabbed a first-place finish with a 8:38.55 time in the men’s 3000m steeplechase. Because of his success in Charlottesville, Stokes now ranks first in the NCAA for the men’s 3000m steeplechase. Trailing Stokes was sophomore Jantz Tostenson, finishing fourth with a time of 8:49.44 in the event. 

In addition to the turnout on the men’s side from Georgetown’s younger athletes, older members of the men’s track team secured notable top-10 finishes in the 5000m contest. Graduate student Robert Brandt grabbed a second place title with a time of 13:35.50, eating at the heels of Wake Forest’s Zach Facioni, who placed first at 13:35.33. Behind Brandt was Georgetown graduate student Jack Salisbury, who placed seventh in the event with a time of 13:50.98 out of 61 athletes overall.  

@HOYASTRACK/INSTAGRAM | Graduate student Jack Salisbury competes in the men’s 5000m contest. Salisbury finished in seventh place in the event out of 61 competitors.

Rounding out the success of the men’s squad in Charlottesville was sophomore Malachi Quarles in the 110m hurdle contest. Clinching a time of 14.51 in the event, Quarles notched a top-three finish for Georgetown. 

On the women’s side, Georgetown had several Hoyas finish well in the women’s distance competitions. Junior Sami Corman ended on top for the Hoyas, landing an impressive top-10 finish at eighth out of 52 athletes in the 1500m race with a time of 4:19.91. Sophomore Maggie Donahue placed 18th with a time of 4:24.26, followed by graduate student Alie Fordyce, first-year Chloe Gonzalez, junior Katherine Modrall, senior Baylee Jones and first-year Sierra Dinneen.  

The women’s squad also achieved noteworthy status in the middle-distance category. Junior Cathilyn McIntosh flexed a top-10 finish for the Hoyas in the women’s 800m, finishing seventh with a time of 2:06.31 out of a grand total of 45 contenders. 

Finishing off an afternoon of highlights for the women’s team was graduate student Charlotte Dannatt. Dannatt put Georgetown on the map for the women’s 10,000m invitational event in Charlottesville, notching a seventh place finish for the Hoyas with a time of 34:02.99. 

The Hoyas will aim to keep their current momentum, returning to Charlottesville, Va. once again April 30 and May 1 for the Virginia Grand Prix.