TRACK & FIELD | While Team Rests for Big Easts, Four Runners Compete on Road

COURTESY GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION Junior Theon O’Connor finished sixth in the 800m at Indiana. He will race in the same event at the Big East championship.
COURTESY GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY SPORTS INFORMATION
Junior Theon O’Connor finished sixth in the 800m at Indiana. He will race in the same event at the Big East championship.

On a weekend when most of the track and field team rested in anticipation of next week’s Big East championship, four runners — sophomore Emily Jones, senior Ayalew Taye, redshirt junior Toby Ulm and junior Theon O’Connor — competed against premier athletes from across the country.

Jones traveled to the West Coast to compete in the 5000 meter run, finishing in 14th place in the Husky Classic, hosted by University of Washington. She clocked a personal record of 16:17.38.

“The pacing wasn’t really conducive to her. … But she showed how far she has progressed and how much she’s matured that she can handle [the pacing] well and run a big [personal record],” Director of Men’s and Women’s Track and Field Patrick Henner said.

The Husky Classic attracted some of the best long-distance runners in the country. Finishing first in the event was senior Jackie Areson, an All-American athlete from the University of Tennessee.

“We wanted to put her in a situation where [Jones] can compete against some of the best 5K and 10K runners in the country,” Henner said.

In another part of the country, Taye competed in the 3000m run at the Hoosier Hills Invitational hosted by Indiana University. He finished in ninth place with a time of 8:12.16. Indiana University runners took the top two spots in the event.

“It was good for him to get out there and run at that intense level. He got through a mile pretty good, but then kind of tailed off at the end,” Henner said.

But Henner is already looking ahead to the Big East championship.

“I think he’s ready to run well at the Big East,” he said. “He’ll probably be on the [distance medley relay] on the first day and then come back and run the 3000m on the second day.”

Ulm and O’Connor joined Taye on the trip to Indiana, both competing in the 800m. Ulm finished third in the event with a time of 1:51.27, while O’Connor clocked a 1:51.55 and finished sixth.

The race was paced by a runner from Indiana, and right off the bat the pack was on the slower side. The field remained bunched until the last 150 meters, but Ulm and O’Connor were able to hold their position and finish strong.

“Toby beat some really good people,” Henner said. “It wasn’t exactly what we were looking for but I think we got a lot out of it.”

Indiana redshirt junior De’Sean Turner won the event with his time of 1:50.04, although he ran unattached at the event. Turner’s teammate and fellow junior Daniel Stockberger finished second.

“Even though it wasn’t really fast times, I think it was productive for both of them,” Henner said. “Toby got some racing experience against some good athletes, and for Theon, it was definitely a step up from Yale,” he added.

Ulm will look to compete in the 500m and O’Connor in the 800m at the Big East championship next weekend.