VOLLEYBALL | Georgetown Blanks Virginia Commonwealth

It may not have been the most exciting game Head Coach Arlisa Williams has seen her team play, but it was a win nevertheless. The Georgetown volleyball team (4-2) notched a 3-0 straight-set victory over Virginia Commonwealth (2-5) Tuesday.

“I think as you watch us play this season, you’ll see bigger kills, more dynamic blocking, and better serving,” Williams said. “But we did what we needed to do to win.”

Although the Hoyas may not have been at their peak performance, they still hit a very impressive .354 as a team. The Blue and Gray were balanced offensively, with five different players tallying five kills or more.

Sophomore outside hitter Brooke Bachesta lead the way with 10 kills, while freshman middle blocker Dani White notched eight kills to go along with five blocks.

Freshman outside hitter Alex Johnson and redshirt sophomore middle blocker Annalee Abell each had seven kills, and junior middle blocker Linsday Wise tallied five kills and three aces.

“That’s what I love about this team: we’ve got five players that know how to terminate the ball,” Williams said. “It just makes us that much harder to guard.”

Georgetown held off a late VCU comeback after a few Rams mistakes had given the Hoyas the lead in a 25-22 first-set win.

The Blue and Gray had a similarly successful second set, winning 25-23 after almost blowing a 23-17 lead.

Senior setter Ashley Malone recorded 13 of her game-high 36 assists in the second set, effectively giving her teammates opportunities to put the ball away.

“Ashley has been playing great volleyball for us all year, she’s an extremely talented setter,” Williams said. “But when we need to get a kill when we’re out of system, we can go to Ashley.”

After the break, Georgetown jumped out to an early 6-2 lead in the third set and never looked back, winning the set, 25-22, to send VCU packing. 18 of the Hoyas’ 42 kills came in the third set, which more resembled the exciting volleyball Williams knows her team is capable of.

“What we talked about heading in to the locker room was coming out and playing great, high-energy volleyball from beginning to end,” Williams said. “And they came out ready to play.”

Senior libero and captain Tory Rezin put up five of her game-high 10 digs for the Hoyas in the third set. Bachesta was also a perfect six for six on kill hits in the set.

“[Tory] stabilized us passing-wise, and we wouldn’t have come out the way we did without her,” Williams said. “We’re just a well-rounded team.”

The team will head to the West Coast this weekend to take part in the Hilton Garden Inn Classic at Cal-Berkeley. They will square off against top-ranked California as well as Sacramento State and Texas-Arlington.