WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | Battle of Skids on Deck at Pitt

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA Senior center Sydney Wilson (left) and junior forward Andrea White will be counted on to step up Saturday due to backcourt injuries.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS GRIVAS/THE HOYA
Senior center Sydney Wilson (left) and junior forward Andrea White will be counted on to step up Saturday due to backcourt injuries.

One way or another, a losing streak will end Saturday afternoon in Pittsburgh when the Georgetown women’s basketball team (13-12, 4-8 Big East) takes on Pitt (9-16, 0-12 Big East). The Hoyas are aiming to end their four-game slide, while the Panthers look to end their 12-game losing streak in the teams’ final regular-season meeting before Pittsburgh leaves for the ACC.

“I am always afraid of playing teams that haven’t won a game in the Big East,” Head Coach Keith Brown said. “[Pittsburgh’s] coach is telling them to just get this game, to just win this game. [The next game] happens to be us, and they are at home. I expect it to be a dogfight.”

The Blue and Gray — coming off a particularly disheartening 57-44 loss at the hands of Villanova — have defeated the Panthers once already this season, securing a 69-57 win at McDonough Arena on Jan. 26.

“I think we match up with them well. They have a big kid and a good guard,” Brown said. “They play hard, and it’s a great atmosphere to play in. Pitt gets a great crowd and they have a great arena, but I think we match up well with them.”

Georgetown, which has dressed as few as eight players in recent games, will have to overcome both its short bench and ever-changing starting lineup as it seeks to earn the road win against Pitt.

“We are learning how to play through the injuries — our chemistry is getting better,” Brown said. “Our chemistry hadn’t been really good [before] because the injuries we have had have been in spots where you can’t have them.”

In the first meeting between the two teams, the Hoyas dominated inside, outscoring the visiting Panthers 38-16 in the paint. Because of injuries at the guard spot, the Blue and Gray will once again have to depend on strong post play from junior forward Andrea White and rejuvenated senior center Sydney Wilson on Saturday.

“We don’t have any guards, so we are going to have to throw it into the post. Hopefully Sydney will have a big game for us,” Brown said. “I think Andrea coming back is important, but she has been out for two weeks and she was extremely rusty against Villanova. … Hopefully, Andrea can come in and all of them will help us in the paint.”

While the team as a whole has struggled this season, the team does have two especially potent offensive players in junior forward Asia Logan and sophomore guard Brianna Kiesel. Both Pittsburgh players average 14.6 points per games and rank in the top 10 in the Big East in scoring.

“We need to limit their touches,” Brown said. “You have to limit their best players touches, and if we can do that, I think we will be okay. “
Georgetown has struggled to outrebound teams so far this season and was outrebounded by Pittsburgh in the teams’ first meeting. According to Brown, you should expect that to should change this time around.

“Rebounding is a thing that is giving teams second shots [against us],” Brown said. “I think we have emphasized all week long that rebounding is going to be the way that we get back in this and start winning some basketball games. … We have to defend better and stop giving up easy shots and open three-pointers.”

And although the Hoyas find themselves among the Big East leaders in terms of scoring, Brown noted that his squad could still benefit from making the extra pass in their offensive sets.

“We have to share the ball. We have to get our assist ratio up,” Brown said. “[Senior guard] Sugar [Rodgers] is the only one having the assists, so we aren’t sharing the ball, so we have to look for that extra pass.”

Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. Saturday.