WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Georgetown Offense Catches Fire

While the rest of campus was home for the Easter holiday, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team was out winningballgames in a big way.

The Hoyas (8-4, 4-1 Big East) went on a Midwest road trip and came back to the Hilltop with two quality results, defeating Cincinnati, 22-4, and Louisville, 19-11. That pair of wins stretches the team’s win streak to a season-best four games, as the Blue and Gray topped American and Connecticut in two prior outings.

Junior midfielder Sophia Thomas made clear that she and her teammates won’t get ahead of themselves, though.

“Four wins, that’s pretty huge,” Thomas said. “But we’ve still got two big games coming up, so I think if we can win these games that’ll give us just that much more confidence going into the [postseason].”

Perhaps Thomas is right not to dwell on the wins too much: The Hoyas’ four victims during the streak weren’t quite at the same level as Big East foes Syracuse and Loyola. But no matter the opponent, the gaudy offensive numbers that Georgetown has been posting are hard to ignore. The Blue and Gray have racked up 79 goals in the past four contests for an average of just under 20 per contest; the team didn’t reach that mark this season until its sixth game.

How they’re scoring is impressive as well. Twelve different players scored for the Hoyas against Cincinnati, while 10 tallied against Louisville.

“We’ve been working really well together on offense. We’ve had so many people contribute with goals and assists. We’re not just a one-dimensional team, which is great, so we’re going to be hard to defend,” Thomas said.

As sophomore goalkeeper Barb Black noted, the offense isn’t the only part of the team that’s come together of late: The Blue and Gray defense has been nearly as impressive. The real gem came against Cincy, when the Hoyas allowed only four goals in a 18-point blowout.

“On the defensive end, I think it’s been great,” said Black, who has allowed an average of 10.17 goals per game this season. “We’ve been playing a lot more as one entire unit and doing the little things consistently, [like only] giving up the shots we want to give up and just working together.”

With third-ranked Syracuse as the next test awaiting the Hoyas this Saturday, it would seem as if the team is coming together at just the right time. Wins at UNC and Penn earlier in the season demonstrated what this Georgetown team is capable of, but the unity that both Thomas and Black touched on suggests that the squad has reached a new level.

The consistent excellence that Head Coach Ricky Fried has long yearned for from this team may be right around the corner. Like his players, though, Fried reflected a very much in-the-moment perspective with regards to his team.

“I know it sounds kind of cliche, but we’re just taking it one game at a time,” Fried said.

It’s hard to argue with the recent results of that mentality.