WOMEN’S SOCCER | Corboz Honored as Hoyas Picked Third in Division

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz was second on the team in goals in 2011.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA
Sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz was second on the team in goals in 2011.

After ending her freshman season with a spot on the all-Big East third team, sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz picked up right where she left off when she was named to the women’s soccer all-Big East preseason team on Tuesday.

Her fellow Hoyas also had reason to cheer, as Georgetown was picked third in the Big East’s National Division in the league’s coaches’ poll. Ahead of the Blue and Gray in the national division are powerhouses Notre Dame and Louisville.

Georgetown finished last season with a 15-6-0 record, their best-ever regular-season result. The 15 wins were good enough for a bye into the conference tournament’s quarterfinals. From there, a victory took the Blue and Gray to their best-ever conference tournament result, a Big East semifinal berth.

Corboz was one of only two sophomores selected to the all-Big East preseason team, but there was little question that she deserved the honor. She finished second on the team in goals scored last year with 11, including five that came in critical conference matchups.

If the Blue and Gray are to overcome the loss of six seniors — and stellar ones at that — to graduation, they will have to rely on an even bigger contribution from Corboz this season.

The Hoyas will begin their campaign Thursday, when they take on Richmond at 5 p.m. in exhibition action. After traveling to Virginia for another exhibition Sunday, Georgetown’s regular season will begin Aug. 17 when the squad plays host to George Washington.