WOMEN’S SOCCER | Georgetown Notches Second Victory

FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA  Sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz had one goal and one assist Sunday.
FILE PHOTO: CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA
Sophomore midfielder Daphne Corboz had one goal and one assist Sunday.

It was a bit tougher than Friday’s steamrolling of George Washington, but the Georgetown women’s soccer team advanced to 2-0 in the young 2012 season by defeating Delaware, 2-0, Sunday afternoon.

The Blue Hens, who were making their season debut, took only one shot in the first half, and that early attempt was saved by Hoya sophomore goalie Emma Newins, who had three saves during her 90 minutes in the box.

Newins’ fellow sophomore, midfielder Daphne Corboz, gave Georgetown the lead — which it never relinquished — when she sank a 20-foot unassisted goal in the 12thminute.

“Daphne was very effective,” Head Coach Dave Nolan told guhoyas.com. “She scored a great goal, and she was the player for us who managed to play with the pressure they put us under.”

In fact, Corboz was the only player to score in the period on one of her six shots, and the Hoyas took a tenuous 1-0 lead into the intermission.

“They pressed us and made it difficult for us to play the way we want to play,” Nolan said.

Delaware was fast out of the gate in the second half, firing off six shots. But Newins again came through in the clutch, earning two saves in the second period for a total of three on the afternoon.

Junior forward Kaitlin Brenn broke the game open in the 69th minute when she scored from 15 yards out off a pass from Corboz.

“They had us on our back feet, but as the game went longer, we started to get things, and once we scored, it deflated them a bit,” Nolan said. “They came back at us again, but that second goal took a little bit of the wind out of them.”

Aggressive defense and Newins’ prowess in the goal kept the Blue Hens at bay for the next 21 minutes, and Georgetown left Newark with a victory.

The Hoyas have this week off before participating in the James Madison Invitational over the weekend. Georgetown plays James Madison at 7:30 p.m. Friday and takes on Hofstra Sunday.