WOMEN’S SOCCER | Georgetown Sweeps Road Trip

CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Senior Camille Trujillo scored three goals this weekend, bringing her season total to four after leading the team with 13 last year.
CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA
Senior Camille Trujillo scored three goals this weekend, bringing her season total to four after leading the team with 13 last year.

Camille Trujillo had terrorized the opposing defenses throughout the entire season, but as the Hoyas prepared to kick off against archrival Syracuse Friday night, the senior forward had just one goal to her name this season after setting a school record with 13 last year.

Ninety minutes later, Trujillo had tripled her season total, scoring twice and assisting on a third goal as the Blue and Gray (9-3-0, 3-1-0 Big East) defeated Syracuse (4-3-3, 3-1-0 Big East) in the pouring rain in upstate New York. Trujillo added another on Sunday afternoon, helping Georgetown push past St. John’s (2-4-3, 1-2-0 Big East) 2-1 in overtime.

“It’s been tough for her to play well and not score goals because as a forward you want to score goals,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “Camille in particular up front had a great game, scored two good goals. She just gives [Syracuse] a lot of problems.”

Thanks in no small part to Trujillo’s contributions, the Hoyas emerged from the always-difficult conference road trip with two vital victories and will now face four consecutive Big East foes at home before they hit the road next on Oct. 14.

“We’re happy for the weekend, it’s always difficult to get two wins on the road,” Nolan said. “So we’ve got those and now we get ready for four home games coming up we can take care of business these next four games we should be in good shape.”

Georgetown 3, Syracuse 1

After lightning delayed the kick-off to Friday night’s fixture, Georgetown surrendered the match’s first clear scoring chance in the fifth minute when a cross found Syracuse’s sophomore defender Cecilia Borgstrom at the far post. Borgstrom settled the ball, only to be stopped by the only player standing between her and the back of the net — Hoyas’ senior goalkeeper Elizabeth Hanna.

The Blue and Gray found inspiration from their keeper’s big save and controlled the game, ultimately being rewarded in the 21st minute when redshirt senior midfielder Ingrid Wells cut back a ball from the endline into the penalty area. The pass deflected off a Syracuse defender and found Trujillo, who blasted the ball high and into the goal from the center of the box.

Trujillo turned provider in the 62nd minute, crossing the ball into the box for freshman midfielder Daphne Corboz. Corboz was able to send the ball through a sea of players into the left side of the net, doubling the Hoyas’ advantage. The points were safe under a minute later, when a fine individual effort from Trujillo put the Blue and Gray three goals ahead. After Georgetown won the ball in transition, Wells found Trujillo, who did all the rest with a finish from the right side of the box.

“She’s got a lot of confidence right now, especially [then] after her first goal,” Nolan said “[Trujillo] took on two defenders, went past them and made a good finish across the face of goal.”

The Orange spoiled Hanna’s shutout bid with a consolation goal in the 81st minute, but Nolan believed that end result was reflective of the way that the game played out.

“The ball was slipping about really fast [due to rain] but I felt we handled it really well,” he said. “I thought the pace of the game was really good, and I thought that over the run of play, 3-1 was a fair result.”

Georgetown 2, St. John’s 1 (OT)

Georgetown dominated play on the aged turf of St. John’s on Sunday afternoon, avenging a heartbreaking Big East tournament loss two years ago in the teams’ last meeting. The Hoyas outshot the hosts 19-9 ion the afternoon and had a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Despite their superiority, it took 64 minutes for the Blue and Gray to open the scoring. Senior forward Sam Baker picked out her classmate Trujillo at the near post of a set piece, and Trujillo calmly beat the one defender between her and the net and slotted home her third goal of the weekend.

Georgetown seemed poised to close out the victory when a long-range cross found the head of Caitlyn McLaughlin, who nodded it home to tie the score in the 74th minute. A Baker throw almost won the game for the Hoyas at the death, but the Hoyas couldn’t get a touch on the ball and the game headed to overtime.

“When we got the first goal it looked like it was going to be enough,” Nolan said. “They kind of scored a little bit of a ‘Hail Mary’ to get back into it at 1-1, then we had a couple of chances to win it before overtime… over the run of play we were definitely the better team today.”

In the opening minutes of overtime, Wells sent a cross to sophomore forward Kaitlin Brenn, whose effort was denied by the keeper. Corboz was first to the rebound, however, and earned a penalty when a St. John’s defender took the freshman’s legs out from underneath her. Wells kept her cool and dispatched the spot-kick inside the near post in the 93rd minute, sealing the Hoyas’ sudden-death victory.

Georgetown received strong showings from its stars and kept possession of the ball, a key to winning difficult road games.

“We did a good job keeping the ball, it’s just a tough surface to play on,” Nolan said. “So in the scoring chances we had, the ball just wouldn’t finish the way you’d want it to finish. Otherwise we’d have scored a couple [more].”

Georgetown returns home on Friday to play host to No. 19 West Virginia at North Kehoe field for an expected 3 p.m. kick-off.