WOMEN’S TENNIS | Georgetown Shuts Out Pair of Conference Foes

After a confidence-boosting win over Howard last week, the Georgetown women’s tennis team (6-8, 3-2 Big East) continued to build momentum during this weekend’s road trip with shutout victories over against Connecticut (4-6, 0-2 Big East) and Providence (0-7, 0-4 Big East).

Georgetown 6, Providence 0

In a match featuring only singles play, the Friars were overmatched against the Blue and Gray. At first singles, graduate student and captain Stephanie Wetmore easily handled sophomore Marisela Aviles, 6-0, 6-1. Junior Lauren Greco similarly dominated her opponent, freshman Maria Bernardez, 6-2, 6-0. Freshman Tina Tehrani did not lose a game in two easy sets against sophomore Courtney Burek, and freshman Maddie Jaeger barely fell short of a shutout, defeating junior Melissa Ferry, 6-1, 6-0. A relatively new addition to singles this spring, freshman Micky Rollings picked up a 6-1, 6-0 win over sophomore Christina Troy.

“[Winning matches by such large margins] is harder than you think,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “It requires a mental focus. It’s easy to get sloppy and lose three or four games. Our girls are so into the zone right now that they want to win every single point.”

The only notable exception was sophomore Vicky Sekely, who faced a tougher fight than the rest of the team. Sekely started out strong with a 6-0 victory in the first set but faltered to a 6-0 second-set loss. She rebounded and finished confidently with a 6-1 win in the third set, claiming victory over Providence senior Ayushi Sinha.

Georgetown 7, Connecticut 0

The going was not much tougher for the Hoyas against the Huskies. The pairing of Wetmore and Tehrani handed senior Emily Herb and freshman Jennifer Learmonth an 8-1 loss. Sekely and Greco defeated junior Alexa Gregory and sophomore Abby McKeon by the exact same margin. These two matches earned the Hoyas the doubles point. However, the Blue and Gray were unable to make a perfect sweep of doubles as Jaeger and senior Alex Sebia fell to freshmen Lucy Nutting and Marie Gargiulo.

In singles play Georgetown continued to the show the strength that allowed the team to shut out Providence a day earlier. Wetmore defeated Learmonth, 6-2, 6-1, and Greco handed Herb a 6-4, 6-0 loss. Sekely, Jaeger and Landers all defeated their opponents — Gregory, McKeon and Nutting, respectively — by large margins as well.

The only outlier was Tehrani, who faced tough competition in the form of sophomore Lauren Wilmarth. Tehrani played a difficult first set, barely edging out Wilmarth in a tiebreaker, but she followed that up with a 6-0 second set.

“Ever since [the Syracuse match, Tehrani has] been terrific. She’s been silently winning every single match,” Ernst said.

Following its road trip, Georgetown returns to campus for a string of home matches at the McDonough outdoor tennis complex. That stretch begins tomorrow when the Hoyas take on Morgan State at 2 p.m.