Georgetown to Announce Cleveland State’s Reed as New Athletic Director

After a search that lasted for the better part of a year, Georgetown has chosen its next director of athletics, The Hoya confirmed Wednesday night.

Originally reported by The Cleveland Plain Dealer, Lee Reed, the current athletic director at Cleveland State University, will fill the position once held by Bernard Muir, who left the Hilltop last May to head up the athletic department at the University of Delaware. Dr. Daniel Porterfield, senior vice president for strategic development, has been serving as Georgetown’s interim director of athletics since that time, and he and University President John J. DeGioia will announce Reed’s hiring at a press conference Thursday morning.

Reed, who played basketball at Cleveland State from 1980 to 1983, has been the athletic director there since 2002. The 47-year-old father of three served in varying administration roles at Eastern Michigan University prior to taking the job at CSU, beginning in 1995 when he was the director of ticket operations marketing. A year later he moved to the university president’s office as an executive assistant, a position he held for a year and a half. In January 1998, he became the associate athletics director, where he stayed until he took the athletic director job at Cleveland State in July 2002.

Reed, who was seen on a bench in front of Healy Hall in late January, received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of New Mexico, where he coached men’s basketball from 1984 to 1986. New Mexico gave him his first administration job in 1992, when he became a tournament director. Between his stints at New Mexico and Eastern Michigan, Reed served as an administrative assistant for the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.