MEN’S LACROSSE | The Hoyas Score a Resounding Defeat Over the Villanova Wildcats, 16-1

After a long-anticipated start to the 2021 season, the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team suited up to play the Villanova Wildcats Feb. 21, hoping to pick up where they left off last spring. After delays of play due to unprecedented weather, the No. 9 Hoyas successfully retained their reputation as a force to be reckoned with this spring, clinching a 16-1 win. 

The Hoyas (1-0, 1-0 Big East) began their season not only against a notable Big East Conference rival, but the No. 18 Wildcats (0-1, 0-1 Big East). The Hoyas have been itching to get back on the field since last March, and they proved why they deserved to be slated as a top-tier threat.  

Villanova started on a high note, with midfielder Matt Campbell securing the first point at 9:09 minutes into the first quarter, firing a powerful lefty shot near the top of the 12-meter fan. Despite the game’s slow start, the Hoyas eventually found their rhythm in the second quarter. 

By the end of the first half, the Hoyas had mustered up a 7-1 lead over the Wildcats, with notable performances by graduate attacker Jake Carraway and sophomore midfielder Graham Bundy Jr. Carraway, who is also team co-captain, led the first half with four goals and an assist. Carraway delivered a standout performance in the game, scoring eight goals total and earning himself U.S. Lacrosse’s Division I Male Player of the Week award.

Bundy ended the first half with two goals, including an impressive full-body extension finish by the crease only 16.5 seconds before the second quarter’s close. 

With the Hoyas continuing to control the game’s momentum into the third quarter, the Wildcats failed to decrease Georgetown’s significant lead. The Hoyas managed to sum up a total of four penalties against the Wildcats, but Georgetown remained unfazed against its conference rival. 

@HOYASMLACROSSE/TWITTER | Graduate student attacker Jake Carraway, 19, tries to get an opponent’s attention down the field. Carraway contributed eight goals, a team high for the season, during the season opener against Villanova.

Throughout the match, Georgetown consistently took advantage of Villanova’s failures to capitalize on scoring opportunities. With help from an incredible Georgetown defensive backbone led by senior defenseman Gibson Smith, senior defenseman Joe LiCalzi, sophomore defenseman James Donaldson and senior goaltender Owen McElroy, the Hoyas left the Wildcats incapable of finding the back of the net. This defensive strength only increased Georgetown’s hunger for more scoring opportunities on the offensive end of the field. 

Eight seconds into the fourth quarter, the Hoyas clinched their 13th goal of the afternoon. Hoping to alter the pace of the game, the Wildcats initiated a swap in faceoff specialists hoping to counteract the efforts of Georgetown’s junior faceoff specialist James Reilly, as well as a swap in goaltenders, replacing Will Vitton with Brendan Haggerty between the pipes. Despite Villanova’s countless attempts to resurrect the momentum with which they began the game, the Hoyas ended the day with a notable 16-1 win to commence the 2021 season on a high note. 

Georgetown Head Coach Kevin Warne evidently kept his foot on the gas throughout the game’s entirety. Warne displayed how versatile his team can truly be, proving that not only the starters, but also the Hoyas’ bench unit, are more than capable of fending off a notably strong opposing team. 

While this game was only the first of the season for Georgetown, the mark they left against the No. 18 ranked Wildcats will not go unnoticed. The Hoyas abruptly ended last season with a 6-0 record before they could reach the meat of their schedule against more challenging opponents. After today’s win, however, it is clear the Hoyas’ current rank is no accident. 

Warne and the rest of the Hoyas will look to keep the momentum they have set for the spring 2021 season. On Saturday, Georgetown will host its first home game at Cooper Field against St. John’s, who currently holds a 1-1 record for the season.