No. 16 Hoyas Prepare for Panthers

The matchup is pretty simple. The Panthers (12-10, 1-8 Big East) are loaded with height and experience, featuring five players who are listed at 6-foot-3 or taller – not to mention a roster with six juniors and one senior. Not surprisingly, the Panthers are second in the Big East in rebounding (43.2 per game) and lead the conference in blocked shots (5.6 per game).

The Hoyas (19-3, 8-1), on the other hand, have depth at their disposal, while the Panthers use close to a six-player rotation, with three of their starters averaging over 30 minutes per game in Big East play. Georgetown has a great point guard in sophomore Rubylee Wright, two bigs in sophomores Adria Crawford and Tia McBride and a great defender in sophomore forward Alexa Roche.

The season started off well for Pitt, which ascended to as high as No. 15 in the national rankings off a 10-1 start, but the Panthers have since fallen off the map, going 2-9 since Dec. 29. The Panthers have just one conference win (a 72-58 victory at Providence) and are coming off a tough stretch with three straight games against UConn, Syracuse and Notre Dame. Georgetown is coming off two consecutive victories against Rutgers and St. John’s, plus eight days of rest. The Hoyas are currently ranked No. 16 in the AP Poll and No. 11 in the RPI Rankings.

The key will be Georgetown’s shooting, rather than its ability to cause turnovers. The Panthers are just too big to be out-rebounded, especially by a Georgetown team that ranks close to last in rebound margin in the Big East ( plus 0.4). If the Hoyas make their shots, can cause foul trouble for a depleted Pittsburgh roster and continue to force a lot of half-court turnovers, then the Hoyas will cruise against a weak Pittsburgh defense.”