SUNDAY NIGHT WRAPUP: GUSA Afterthoughts

The last weekend before Spring Break is coming to a close. For those of you who have spent your time dreaming about next week and the prospect of no papers, tests or studying, here is a wrap-up for the news of the weekend.

• Early Friday morning, Clara Gustafson (SFS ’13) and Vail Kohnert-Yount (SFS ’13) (pictured with current GUSA President Mike Meaney (COL ’12) and Greg Lavarriere (SFS ’12)) won the race over the seven-ticket field. Over the campaign, we saw two presidential debates, signs, campaign literature, a giant American Flag posted in Red Square, the flag being vandalized and the construction of a giant Rubik’s Cube.
  • The Hoyas rebounded from a 73-55 drumming from Seton Hall, with a 67-46 blowout over Villanova at the Verizon Center. Next up, the 8th-ranked Hoyas take on the 18th-ranked Notre Dame tomorrow at the Verizon Center.
  • The NBA, in all its usual fanfare, held its All-Star Weekend. Jeremy Evans of the Utah Jazz won the slam-dunk contest and Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves won the three-point contest on Saturday, but the real spectacle of the weekend was the game itself — a Western Conference victory in the 152-149 nail-biter, where Kobe Bryant became the highest-scoring athlete in All-Star history.
  • Mitt Romney picked up the endorsements of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer and Michigan Governor Rick Snyder over the weekend, and polls are turning his direction before Tuesday’s Michigan and Arizona primaries.
  • Among the bejeweled celebrities arriving at the Academy Awards Sunday night was Sasha Baron-Cohen, in character as a crazed dictator. He spread the ashes of deceased North Korean leader Kim-Jong-Il along the red carpet — a welcome break from gowns and tuxedos.