TENNIS | Hoyas Boast Strong Results from Weekend Tournament

Both the Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams fared well last weekend against tough competition at their respective tournaments in Philadelphia, Pa. and College Park, Md.  The men’s team competed in the Penn Invitational and women’s team at the Bedford Cup Mid-Atlantic Tennis Championships, and both teams returned with successful results.

For the men’s team, freshman Connor Lee went 3-0, defeating Yale’s Nathan Brown with two quick 6-2 sets. He won his second match 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, faltering in the middle set, but handily defeating Princeton’s Noah Agarwal in the rubber match. Lee trounced the hometown opponent, senior Gabriel Rapoport from the University of Pennsylvania, in two consecutive 6-1 sets.

Junior Michael Chen went 2-1 on the weekend, defeating Princeton freshman Kabir Sarita in two 7-6 sets. Chen went on to defeat Penn’s opponent in two 6-2 sets.

Lee and Chen bested Princeton’s doubles team 6-2.

Freshman Charlie Sharton defeated Yale in two 6-3 sets on Saturday and beat Robert Smithline of Penn in a 6-3, 6-4 match on Sunday. The doubles pair of sophomore Ian Witmer and Sharton narrowly defeated Yale 7-5, 6-4.

For the women’s team, the Bedford Cup Mid-Atlantic Tennis Championships featured 30 players in singles competitions and 15 doubles teams from six Mid-Atlantic Division I teams.

Junior Sydney Goodson was the Hoyas’ top performer of the weekend. Goodson made it to the round of 16 by defeating Virginia Tech’s Sloan Barton 6-1, 6-1 and a Towson competitor 6-1, 6-7(5), 10-3 before ultimately losing.

In doubles play, seniors Sara Swift and Drew Spinosa bested Delaware in a dominant 6-0 performance and The George Washington University in a swift 6-3 match before their defeat in the quarterfinals.

In doubles play, Swift and Spinosa teamed up to win matches against squads from Delaware (6-0) and George Washington (6-3) before falling in the quarterfinal.

For both the men’s and women’s teams, the Hoyas are hoping that the performance and leadership from seniors will allow them to find their place among the top Division I tennis programs.

Up next, Georgetown hosts the University of the District of Columbia on Wednesday at 2 p.m.