TENNIS | Freshmen Impress in Blowout

Georgetown came away with two big wins Wednesday as the men’s and women’s tennis teams crushed the University of the District of Columbia (6-1, 1-2) at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex. Coincidentally, both teams won 7-0. With the victories, the men’s record improved to 8-5 on the season and the women advanced to 7-4 for the year.

While Head Coach Gordie Ernst was happy all around with the win, he was particularly impressed with the men’s freshmen and sophomores in Wednesday’s victory.

“[Freshman] Shane Korber snapped his seven-game losing streak and got the win over a really strong player,” Ernst said.

Korber’s victory came at No. 5 singles, which he won 6-4, 6-1. Sophomore Andrew Dottino had an impressive performance, battling in both his 8-6 doubles victory with freshman partner Alex Tropiano and his 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 victory at the No. 3 singles spot.

“Andrew won his 11th match in a row. Now that’s a story,” Ernst said. “He is a fighter and a tough guy. He always finds a way to win.”

With the victory over UDC under its belt, the Georgetown men’s team has now set its sights on another cross-town rival. The squad takes on George Washington a week from today.

After defeating Troy, GWU has improved to a record of 5-6 on the year, and Ernst knows next Friday’s match will be a challenge.

“This is a big match for us,” Ernst said. “GW is our true rival. This is the best team they have ever had, and our guys are really fired up.”

The Georgetown women also won their Wednesday match against UDC in straight sets, but Ernst was not surprised by the 7-0 victory. Since the Firebirds are not ranked and the Hoyas had already defeated No. 3-ranked Division II Lynn University, 5-3, Georgetown was well prepared for the match.

“UDC was not particularly challenging,” Ernst said. “After beating Lynn, we knew what level UDC would be.”

Despite the weak opponent, Ernst was cheered by the depth of his squad. Sophomore Madeline Jaeger, who won an exciting 6-4, 7-5, 10-8 battle at No. 6 singles against South Florida March 11, is the perfect example of how competitive the women are.

“Madeline has been our most improved player,” Ernst said. “She can beat anyone in our lineup. She is a total gamer and competitor. She is always ready to battle for the Hoyas.”

With freshman partner Sophie Panarese, Jaeger helped the Hoyas pick up the doubles point on Wednesday with their 8-1 victory over the Firebirds. The match was clinched by senior Lauren Greco’s 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles.

The women will next face Richmond. Fresh off a 7-0 win over St. Joe’s, the Spiders will head into next Wednesday’s match against the Hoyas with a record of 6-2.

“Richmond is a good team,” Ernst said. “This will be a really good judge of where we are right before we head into the final crunch.”

But despite the Spiders’ strong record, Ernst is confident in his squad.

“I think we are better,” Ernst said. “We can win this one.”

The men will play at George Washington at 2 p.m. next Friday. The women will take on Richmond at 2 p.m. at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex on Wednesday.