BASEBALL | Shortstop Garza Leads Hoyas’ Offensive Explosion

Courtesy Notre Dame Observer Catcher Erick Fernandez (right), shown at Notre Dame, was 1-for-4 at Coppin State.
Courtesy Notre Dame Observer
Catcher Erick Fernandez (right), shown at Notre Dame, was 1-for-4 at Coppin State.

A year off from college baseball hasn’t done much to deaden the bat of sophomore shortstop Mike Garza.

Garza, who sat out last season after transferring from Stanford, had four hits — including his second homerun of the season — and drove in six runs as the Hoyas (17-9) dominated Coppin State (3-19), 19-7, in Baltimore on Wednesday.

Garza led a 21-hit Hoya attack on the Coppin State pitching staff, which surrendered three five-run innings to the visitors.

The first of these Georgetown offensive outbursts came in the first inning. Garza knocked in the game’s first run with an RBI double, and redshirt senior first baseman Dan Capeless followed a few batters later with a two-run single. After walks by sophomore infielder Danny Poplawski and junior infielder Kevin Johnson, freshman outfielder Max Friedman ripped a single to plate two more runs, pushing the lead to 5-0.

Redshirt junior right-hander and captain Tommy Isaacs started the game for the Blue and Gray and threw two shutout innings. He was replaced in the third by junior right-hander Bobby Kirby, who struggled through his two innings of work, yielding six runs (five earned).

Despite Kirby’s issues on the mound, the Hoyas never lost their lead. With the score at 5-2 in the top of the fourth, Georgetown scored two runs thanks to an RBI double from sophomore center fielder Justin Leeson and Garza’s solo shot.

After Coppin State’s four-run bottom of the fourth, the Hoya lead was cut to 7-6. But Georgetown closed the door on the Eagles in the fifth with its second five-run inning of the day.

A bases-loaded walk by Leeson, a bases-clearing double by Garza and an RBI single by junior outfielder Rand Ravnaas pushed the lead to 12-6 and ultimately put the game out of reach for Coppin State. The Eagles added a run in the bottom of the sixth, but the Blue and Gray responded with seven more runs of their own over the seventh and ninth innings.

After Kirby’s rough outing, the Georgetown bullpen settled down over the final five innings. Sophomore lefty Thomas Polus threw two innings of one-run relief, and redshirt senior right-hander Mike Seander and junior right-hander Billy Cosmopulos combined for a scoreless seventh and eighth. In the ninth sophomore right-hander Neal Dennison struck out the side.

Capeless, Leeson and Ravnaas each had three hits apiece in the rout. They and Garza combined for 13 hits, 10 runs scored and 13 RBI.

Six other players had two hits each, and seven players drove in at least one run.

Georgetown has won nine of its last 11 games and hopes to carry that momentum into its second conference series of the season this weekend. The Hoyas kick off a three-game home series against Cincinnati today at Shirley Povich Field.