Dance Into Their Hearts

Neighbors complain that we play too hard on the weekends, but perhaps they would feel differently if they saw us dance.

While universities all over the country have South Asian dance performances, few can boast an event so encompassing of campus culture as Rangila; the annual show is on par with traditions like Georgetown Day and home basketball games against Syracuse. Neighbors should seize the opportunity to experience one of our signature events and grasp a broader view of Georgetown — rather than the small snapshot of those students who keep them awake on weekend nights.

In an effort to improve town-gown ties, the Georgetown University Student Association, in collaboration with the South Asian Society, has set aside 10 free Rangila tickets for neighbors. We hope to see them take advantage of this opportunity. Providing positive, cross-cultural interaction, Rangila is a reminder of the impact that the university can have on its community.

There are reasons Rangila is one of the Hilltop’s favorite events: It features over 400 dancers and 30 choreographers, colorful costumes, upbeat music and palpable enthusiasm. The sale of Rangilatickets on a Friday morning in Red Square leads to long lines and, in the days after, frantic quests by students to score one of the few tickets still remaining. Even University President John J. DeGioia attends the Friday night performance, usually accompanied by a handful of diplomats and dignitaries.

We hope that neighbors accept our invitation and turn out to see the show. It’s a party they won’t have to call the police to break up.