Food for Thought

Neighborhood complaints about rowdy students roaming the area in search of late-night food may sound like business as usual. But there is something the university can do to keep students off the streets, and breaking up more parties isn’t it.

On any Saturday night of the year, the line at Tuscany Cafe is usually out the door. While The Guide gave the parlor a positive review (The Guide, G11, Sept. 2, 2011), in reality it’s the closest — and only available — option to satisfy a late-night craving. To draw students off the sidewalks and back within the gates, the university should serve food on campus later on weekend nights.

During the last weekend of October, the university brought an Armand’s Pizza truck to campus for the first time. According to Georgetown University Student Association Vice President Greg Laverriere(COL ’12),  the idea of an on-campus, late-night food truck was originally suggested at the first Hoya Roundtable. The administration deserves credit for acting quickly to make the proposal a reality. The truck has appeared parked just outside the front gates or at the bottom of the steps to LauingerLibrary every weekend since the last weekend of October, allowing students to fulfill their desire for post-party fare without crossing 37th Street.

While the food truck pilot is a good start, campus needs a greater variety of late-night options. To start, O’Donovan Dining Hall should be open more often. Sunday through Thursday night, food is available until 11 p.m., but on Fridays and Saturdays, Leo’s closes at 8 p.m. Keeping Leo’s open until 1 or 2 a.m. on weekend nights would bring students back on campus late at night and allow would-be wasted meals to be used.

Leo’s has the potential to keep students off the streets on the weekends, and it absolutely should. As town-gown relations continue to be strained, both neighbors and university officials must recognize that students aren’t going to change their weekend habits. Where they choose to indulge their midnight cravings, however, can change.