GUSA Holds Forum on NSSC

University administrators and student leaders elaborated on plans for the New South Student Center at a Georgetown University Student Association forum Thursday evening.

The 16,500 square foot center will include a general common room, separated by casual, formal and dining areas. Dining facilities will run a pub-style restaurant and Students of Georgetown, Inc. plans to open a new food service operation, a made-to-order salad and smoothie shop, which was recently approved by the university.

Although the university aims for the space to serve as a hub for student life on campus, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said that office space for student clubs and organizations will not be incorporated into the center.

“[Incorporating club spaces into NSSC] would squelch the living room atmosphere,” he said.

GUSA President Clara Gustafson (SFS ’13) echoed Olson’s statement.

“We don’t want it to be another Leavey Center,” she said.

According to Students of Georgetown, Inc. CEO and President Michael West, the university administration asked The Corp to brainstorm a new food service operation for the NSSC earlier this year.

Joseph Tattoni, an architect with ikon.5 who attended the forum, said the space will include individual study and meeting rooms and an arts component. Tattoni also said the design will incorporate as many environmentally friendly features as possible.

According to Tattoni, the design stage will continue through spring 2013 and the final price of the project will be announced in February. Construction will commence in spring 2013, and last until fall 2014.

Gustafson praised the NSSC design process, saying that it has allowed students to share their input on the future of the university.

“I think this has been a really great process in which the architects have been very interactive with the students,” Gustafson said.

Olson added that the university will be organizing further discussions between students and university administrators throughout the year to brainstorm other ways to foster a more engaging social environment on campus.