Student Style Puts Twist on Service

Tiara Kawser (MSB ’15), like many Hoyas, is passionate about both fashion and social justice. She’s combined these two loves by serving as the chair of Georgetown Program Board’s seventh annual Spring Fashion Show. The event this Saturday will display some of Georgetown’s hottest fashions, with all proceeds benefiting Roslin Orphanage.

Roslin was founded in West Timor, Indonesia by BudiSoehardi in 2002. The orphanage’s goal is to provide its 70 child residents with as much education as they need so that they can eventually return to their families and improve their hometowns.

“I personally was very touched by this story because I saw it on one of the CNN ‘Heroes Tributes,’” Kawser said. When GPB started planning the fashion show right after winter break, Kawser contactedSoehardi to tell him they wanted the show’s proceeds to benefit Roslin. “He was thrilled by the thought that we would want to put on a show for him,” Kawser said.

All the money that the fashion show brings in will be given directly to Roslin Orphanage. Sydney Davis (COL ‘15), the fashion show’s supervisor, said, “Every dollar and penny we make off of this show is going to the orphanage. … We’ve actually already raised about $1,400.”

Davis and Kawser hope to raise that total even more after Saturday’s show. “Altogether, we hope to raise around $2,000 minimum so that we have a sufficient amount to contribute because they’re going to actually build a new kindergarten for the orphanage,” Kawser said.

After choosing which cause they wanted to fundraise for, the fashion show’s committee had to choose a theme for the show.

“Our theme is ‘Into the Wild,’ so we’re playing a lot with these tribal looks, an exotic kind of feel. That’s why we have the face paint going on,” Kawser said.

The clothes for the show, which are mainly loaned from stores in Georgetown, like Ann Taylor Loft and Jack Wills, will be modeled by 30 Georgetown students — 15 men and 15 women. The show will also feature  Caedo, the brand of Nate Hochstetler (COL ‘12 ), and the premiere of its spring collection.

“The fashion show is kind of their debut,” Kawser said.

However, the models and clothes won’t be the only student talent seen in this Saturday’s show. Kawser said, “We also have a great group of different student performers. We have Tate Tucker, Groove Theory, Bindaas … and the World Percussion Ensemble,” Kawser said.

The show’s MC is Georgetown student, Julian De La Paz (SFS ’15). The show will be introduced by Miss D.C., Monique Thompkins, who will also present this year’s cause, Roslin Orphanage, which is still the most important part of the show to Kawser and Davis.

“We’re really trying to raise awareness about this orphanage and the goal that they’re trying to achieve,” Davis said. “[The people at Roslin] are just so grateful for what we’re doing, but, at the same time, we’re so grateful for them because it gives us something to work for.”