GU Finishes Weekend 1-1, Awaits No. 5 Connecticut

The field hockey team (6-6, 1-1) split two games this weekend, defeating Rutgers (4-8, 1-2) in a 4-3 overtime thriller on Friday before falling to Richmond (4-7, 0-0) 3-0 on Sunday. Both games were played at the William I. Jacobs Recreational Complex on American University’s campus, the Hoyas’ designated home field this season.

Sophomore forward Catherine Shugrue scored three goals for the Hoyas on Friday against the Scarlet Knights, including the game-winner in overtime. Sophomore goalie Briana Pereira had six saves in the match.

Shugrue put Georgetown on the board early, dribbling down the sideline and hitting an unassisted shot into the cage. Rutgers, however, was quick to retaliate with goals by Nicole Gentile and Gia Nappi, giving the Scarlet Knights a 2-1 lead.

But Shugrue answered with her second goal, this one coming off a penalty corner with assists from sophomores Sophia Pifer and Kimberly Keating.

Rutgers regained the lead at 43:09, but

Georgetown tied it up minutes later when Pifer was fouled inside the circle and converted the penalty stroke. Toward the end of regulation the Hoyas were able to stop five Scarlet Knights’ penalty corners, sending the game into overtime.

Finally, at 73:49 Shugrue netted her third goal of the day, scoring off a rebound to give the Hoyas their first league win.

In their second game, the Blue and Gray fell 3-0 to the Richmond Spiders, allowing two second half goals and only managing three shots on the day. Pereira had four saves in the contest.

Richmond junior Katelin Peterson had the lone goal of the first half, beating Pereira with a tip-in at the 25:14 mark. Peterson also added two assists for the Spiders in the second half, setting up senior Christin Hanley and freshman Jessica Hollis on breakaways. The Hoyas were unable to beat freshman goalie Anna Zarkoski, who posted her first career shutout.

The team will head north to Connecticut this weekend, facing No. 5 UConn in a Big East contest at noon on Saturday and then Fairfield at 2 p.m. on Sunday.