The Corp to Open Salad, Smoothie Shop in NSSC

Those on campus this summer will be quick to notice Students of Georgetown, Inc.’s first coffee price hikes since 2010 — an average increase of 15 cents per cup across all services, according to CEO Michael West — but that’s not all The Corp has been up to lately.

The student-run corporation has submitted its proposal to the university for a new food service operation in the university’s planned New South Student Center, which is slated to open in the fall of 2014.

The proposed location would serve fresh salads and smoothies as well as pre-packaged sandwiches and drinks, according to West. It would be The Corp’s first venture into the assembly line-style service popularized by fast food giants Subway and Chipotle.

“It’s completely new ground. … We wanted to do something innovative and new with this spot,” West said. “We saw a demand and thought we could fill it.”

The Corp sought student input for its new location via a poll posted on its “Behind the Counter” blog this spring; the choices represented all the food service options The Corp felt it could realistically pursue. The poll garnered over 1,300 responses, the overwhelming majority of which favored a salad bar or smoothie shop, according to West.

The Corp’s upper management reviewed the results at their retreat in May and ultimately elected to run with the students’ choice.

“Obviously, if the students want it and we can do it, let’s do it,” West said.

The Corp will lease the 850-square-foot space from Georgetown — just as it does with its other food service operations — but has not begun discussing rental costs with university administrators, according to West.

West was able to confirm that the new location would likely employ between 30 and 40 students, roughly as many as Uncommon Grounds, its coffee shop in Sellinger Lounge.

According to West, the university was eager to give The Corp the opportunity to claim a space in the new facility.

“Because it’s the New South Student Center, [the university] wanted to get students involved as much as possible,” West said.

Architecture firm ikon.5, which the university commissioned to design the NSSC, will design The Corp’s new location as well. If all goes according to plan, the new service will launch when the student center opens in 2014.