BASEBALL | Hoya Bats Explode in Navy Rout

After a disappointing 11-3 loss to George Mason (17-25-1) that Head Coach Pete Wilk called “inexcusable,” Georgetown (20-23, 2-12) responded with a dominating 17-2 victory over Navy (26-18-1) on Wednesday night. Seven Hoyas had multiple hits in the blowout, complementing stifling pitching from starter and redshirt junior captain Tommy Isaacs.

Playing at George Mason’s Spuhler Field, the Blue and Gray dug themselves an early 5-0 hole on Tuesday. Sophomore James Heine got the start on the mound for the Hoyas but struggled with his control in one-plus innings. Heine allowed five runs on five hits, in addition to walking three men and hitting another.

Junior Bobby Kirby came in to relieve Heine in the second and allowed one inherited runner to score. However, he kept George Mason off the scoreboard for the next four innings, giving Georgetown offense a chance to respond.

The Hoyas finally got on the board in the fifth when freshman right fielder Christian Venditti — who had gotten on base courtesy of his first career hit — scored on sophomore center fielder Justin Leeson’s RBI groundout. Leeson then came around to score the Blue and Gray’s second run later in the inning, on a two-out double by junior second baseman Andy Lentz.

The Hoyas cut the lead to two in the top of the seventh when Leeson tallied his second RBI of the day on a single through the middle, but their momentum would be short-lived. The Georgetown bullpen unraveled in the bottom half of the inning, as Kirby — who had not allowed a run of his own since entering the game in the second — finally faltered, allowing the hosts to score three runs on three hits and an error. After the Blue and Gray went three-up, three-down in the top of the eighth, George Mason put the game out of reach with three more runs. The Patriot lead remained at eight for the rest of the game.

“We’ve done a lot of talking since yesterday’s debacle,” Wilk said before the game against Navy. “I’m expecting that we’ll be ready to go and fired up.”

After the last out was recorded Wednesday night at Georgetown’s Shirley Povich Field, it was clear the Blue and Gray had heard their coach’s message.

Both teams traded zeroes in the first frame before the Hoyas’ offense took off in the bottom half of the second.

Sophomore rightfielder Paul Bello kicked off the inning with a two-run single, and Leeson followed with an RBI groundout.A Navy error and an RBI single from Lentz extended the Hoya lead to five runs.

The Georgetown offensive was just getting warmed up, though, as the Hoyas doubled their lead with a five-run fourth inning. RBI singles from senior third baseman Sean Lamont, freshman first baseman Steve Anderson and Lentz, in addition to an RBI double from junior designated hitter Kevin Johnson all contributed to the outburst of runs.

The offensive show provided more than enough run support for the Georgetown pitching staff, which allowed just one hit over the first seven innings. Isaacs struck out four in his three innings on the hill before being relieved by freshman Alex Baker.

Baker continued the trend of domination with two more hitless innings and two strikeouts. Sophomore Neal Dennison and senior Jared Cohen followed with one shutout inning in relief each.

The Midshipmen broke up the shutout in the eighth with a two-run homer, but not before the Hoyas added seven more runs to their total. Four of those runs came from the bat of sophomore Corbin Blakey, who entered the game as a pinch hitter in the seventh. In two at bats, Blakey ripped a two-run single and a two-run double.

On the day, eight Georgetown batters finished with an RBI. Blakey led all batters with four RBI, while Lentz and Bello each had two in addition to two hits. Johnson, Anderson and Lamont each went 2-for-3 with an RBI, while Leeson finished 2-for-5 with an RBI and three runs.

Georgetown kicks off a three-game series today at Louisville at 6 p.m.