WOMEN’S SOCCER | GU Readies for Midwest Swing

After splitting a pair of weekend games against conference rivals, the Georgetown women’s soccer team (11-5-0, 5-3-0 Big East) looks to regain its position atop the league when it travels to Indiana and Illinois this weekend to take on Notre Dame and DePaul.

The Fighting Irish (7-5-3, 4-2-2 Big East) sit in third place in the Big East’s National Division and only one point behind the second-place Hoyas. Louisville, who defeated Georgetown Sunday, is in first with a 5-1-2 conference record. DePaul (3-11-1, 1-6-1 Big East) is in the league cellar alongside Cincinnati, who lost to Georgetown last Friday.

While the 2-1 victory over Cincinnati showed off some of the best the Hoyas have to offer — including goals by senior forwards Camille Trujillo and Sam Baker off assists from senior midfielder Ingrid Wells — the Sunday game brought only disappointment.

Although the Cardinals are one of the best teams in the league, the Blue and Gray had an advantage for much of the game, outshooting their rivals 13-6 and holding a 13-2 advantage in corner kicks. Yet when it counted in the two overtime periods, Georgetown came up empty-handed, and Louisville prevailed, 2-1.

“I feel sorry for the kids, thought they left everything on the field, I thought they played ever so well, and that’s our sport sometimes,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “It was a really good game, I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I’m sort of stunned a little bit, but you’ve got to give [Louisville] credit.”

Defending national champion Notre Dame is still one of the best teams in the Big East, even if it seems a step slower than last season. Its only conference losses came to Louisville and in overtime at Marquette. The Irish have also been a tough 5-1 in South Bend, with their sole loss coming to Louisville.

Notre Dame’s goalkeeping has been stellar under junior Maddie Fox, who has recorded two shutouts in a row against Rutgers and Seton Hall and looks for a third against Georgetown.

The Irish mix youth and experience at the top of their offense. Senior forward Melissa Henderson, who has scored 11 goals so far this season, and freshman forward Lauren Bohaboy, who has six, both rank among the nation’s best. Sophomore forward Adriana Leon, who scored the winning goal in the 2010 NCAA College Cup, also helps Notre Dame get the ball in the net.

On defense, senior defender Jessica Schuveiller has already been named Big East defensive player of the week once this season and has been a potent force on offense as well, notching five goals.

The Irish will be a tough matchup for the Hoyas, who are led by redshirt senior midfielder Ingrid Wells and senior forwards Camille Trujillo and Sam Baker. Freshman midfielder Daphne Corboz has also made an immediate contribution with six goals on the season. While Notre Dame is tough, Georgetown needs a win to reassert itself at the top of its division in the Big East.

Compared to Notre Dame, DePaul is something of a lesser rival. The Blue Demons have struggled all season and average just 0.8 goals a game, exactly half the 1.6 they have allowed for their opponents.

DePaul’s only Big East victory came against fellow conference laggard Providence. The Blue Demons haven’t been particularly dangerous at home, either, carrying a miserly 2-4 record in Chicago.

Senior forward Morgan Celaya and freshman midfielder Amber Paul have led the Blue Demons so far this season, with three goals a piece through 15 games. Junior goalkeeper Claire Hanold has allowed 15 goals while saving 43, while freshman goalie Megan Pyrz has let nine goals in and stopped 45.

While DePaul’s struggles make a Georgetown win likely, it remains critical that the Hoyas clamp down on defense and stop the Blue Demons to gain more points in their race for the Big East divisional title.

Kickoff against Notre Dame is 7:30 p.m. tonight in South Bend. Georgetown faces DePaul at 1 p.m. on Sunday.