Law Campus Secure After Intruder Alert

The Law Center’s campus is secure after a man armed with an assault weapon was spotted walking near 2nd and D Streets, a short distance from the campus, at 12:30 p.m.

The Law Center went into “Sheltering-in-Place” mode, ordering the entire campus community to get inside immediately after being informed of the armed threat by the Capitol Police, the Metropolitan Police Department and D.C. Protective Services.

At 1:13 p.m., Edward Piper, the director of the Law Center’s Public Safety office, sent an email to the community alerting them of a black armed male’s presence near the campus, urging community members to stay inside and away from windows. According to Director of Media Relations Rachel Pugh, Law Center Public Safety officers also used bullhorns to direct people indoors.

The Capitol Police and MPD notified Georgetown Law Public Safety that the campus was clear at 1:30p.m, according to Pugh. Piper sent a follow-up email to the Law Center community at 1:47 p.m., stating that all was clear.

“The Law Center wishes to thank everyone for their swift cooperation with the Department of Public Safety,” Pugh said.

On the main campus, the Georgetown University Alumni and Student Federal Credit Union and The Corp’s Vital Vittles shut down temporarily as a safety precaution before a university-wide alert informed the campus community that the incident was confined to the Law Center.