BASEBALL | Hoyas Split With Local Rivals

With five lights-out innings on the mound, redshirt junior captain, pitcher Tommy Isaacs, ended Georgetown’s three-game losing streak Tuesday at Shirley Povich Field. Isaac’s dominant outing combined with 15 hits from the Hoya lineup propelled Georgetown (18-13, 1-5 Big East) to a 12-2 victory over UMBC (4-17, 0-1 America East).

The Hoyas jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first after redshirt senior first baseman Dan Capeless ripped an RBI single to score junior outfielder Rand Ravnaas.

Although the Retrievers held the Blue and Gray at bay in the second and third innings, the Hoyas resumed scoring in the fourth and fifth. In the fourth, an errant UMBC pickoff attempt allowed junior catcher Kevin Johnson to score. Senior designated hitter Erick Fernandez cranked his fourth home run of the season in the following inning, scoring redshirt sophomore shortstop Mike Garza and pushing the Hoyas’ lead to 4-0.

After five scoreless innings on the mound, Isaacs turned the ball over to freshman Alex Baker. Baker threw two solid innings of relief but allowed a run in the top of the seventh to make the score 4-1.

Georgetown then exploded for eight runs in the eighth. The decisive blow again came from the bat of Fernandez, who smoked a two-run double with the bases loaded. Garza, Ravnaas, Capeless, sophomore infielder Corbin Blakey and senior third baseman Sean Lamont also drove in runs in the big inning.

With the Blue and Gray in control, senior pitchers Michael Seander and Jared Cohen and redshirt freshman pitcher Chris Casale combined for the two final innings of relief in the win.

After thrashing UMBC, Georgetown traveled to Annapolis, Md., Wednesday to take on Navy (18-11-1, 3-1 Patriot League). But the Hoyas could not build on their momentum and fell on the road, 9-2.

Tied 1-1 after two innings of play, the Midshipmen teed off on Georgetown junior starter Bobby Kirby for four runs in the third. The Hoyas began the inning by committing an error, which was followed by a succession of four hits from Navy hitters, quickly putting the Midshipmen ahead 5-1.

The Hoyas countered in the fourth with a sacrifice fly from Lamont to close the gap to 5-2. Navy added two more runs in the bottom of the inning thanks to an RBI double and triple.

Navy again tagged Georgetown for two runs in the fifth to increase its lead to 9-2, effectively putting the game out of reach.

Despite a flawless bullpen effort — Seander, redshirt senior reliever Jack Bender and sophomore James Heine combined to throw four scoreless innings — the Hoya lineup failed to mount an offensive comeback.

In search of their first Big East series win, the Hoyas travel to Morgantown, W. Va., to take on West Virginia (17-14, 3-3 Big East) in a three-game series starting tonight.