MSB to Raise $15,000 for GU Service Organization

MBA students will pick either the HOYA Clinic, Hoya Outreach Programs & Education or the Center for Social Justice to receive $15,000 Friday as part of a community service program launched by the McDonough School of Business.

MBA student Robert Wright, who is vice president of community service for the Evening Student Government Association in the MSB, spearheaded the project as a way to engage in active fundraising and create camaraderie among the graduate programs.

“It is really hard to prioritize charitable giving,” he said. “If we can do a great thing by raising money and do it in a way that gives people an opportunity to talk about this, that would be an outcome that would benefit not only the current group receiving the funds, but also help Georgetown students to inform their future giving as well.”

The goal of the ModFour campaign, which was named after the module system that divides academic terms in the business school, is to raise $10,000. Participants will solicit donations primarily from graduate business school students, but Wright hopes to reach out to Georgetown undergraduates and faculty as well. The Office of Advancement also announced today that an anonymous donor has volunteered to contribute $5,000 to the campaign. At the end of the fundraising period, the money will be given to the winner of Friday’s vote.

Development Coordinator of the HOYA Clinic Liz Truelove said that the clinic relies on outside funding in order to continue its services in Southeast D.C.

“As a totally volunteer-driven group, we absolutely rely on grants and fundraisers like this to keep everything running,” she said. “I didn’t even hesitate and we got right in the running.”

Ray Shiu, associate director of CSJ, said that he would put the $15,000 awarded to the ModFour winner toward extending the center’s summer programs in D.C. elementary schools, while HOPE Chair Ivana Robinson (MSB ’13) said that the winnings from ModFour would allow the organization, which runs the Mobile Soup Kitchen and organizes Georgetown’s annual Hunger and Homelessness Week, to reach a wider range of individuals across the D.C. area.

“With a lot of our programs, the problem isn’t [not] having enough volunteers. The problem is that we only have enough funds to give out a certain [number] of meals per week,” Robinson said. “The money would allow us to reach these people and even expand our programs into other neighborhoods.”