WOMEN’S SOCCER | Hoyas Dismantle D.C. Rivals

The No. 23 Georgetown women’s soccer team (2-0) picked up right where they left off last year, winning their first two games of the 2011 season by a combined score of 7-0 against a pair of local rivals.

Friday afternoon saw the Blue and Gray make the short trip to the George Washington University, where they wasted little time opening the scoring. Just 32 seconds into the game, senior forward Sam Baker launched one of her trademark long throws into the box, where sophomore midfielder KaileyBlain poked the ball home.

The Colonials’ defense held strong for the rest of the first half, but Blain struck again in the 56th minute off a cross from redshirt senior midfielder Ingrid Wells. Wells then wrapped up the scoring less than two minutes later when she earned and converted a penalty kick.

After a day off on Saturday, Georgetown hosted American at North Kehoe Field in a game that was twice delayed by lightning: once at the beginning of the game and once with about five minutes left in the first half. The Eagles fared better on Sunday than in last year’s matchip, when they were on the receiving end of a 9-0 drubbing by the Hoyas. Still, they failed to muster a goal in a comprehensive Georgetown win.

The Blue and Gray again struck quickly, with Baker whipping a free kick past junior goalkeeper Klare Lazor in the fourth minute. The Hoyas kept up the pressure after the goal; the Eagle attackers hardly got the chance to call senior Hoya goalie Elizabeth Hanna into action. The Blue and Gray were robbed of a scoring opportunity in the 22nd minute when senior forward Camille Trujillo was sent clear of the defense only to be brought down by an American defender who was lucky to receive a yellow card.

Georgetown finally scored a deserved second goal in the 32nd minute, when sophomore midfielder Alexa St. Martin played in a cross from the right side. Lazor could only punch the ball weakly away as sophomore forward Kaitlin Brenn put pressure on the keeper. Freshman forward Jessica Clinton was the beneficiary of Brenn’s pressure, collecting the rebound at the top of the box and calmly firing into the roof of the net for her first collegiate goal.

Brenn created the next goal with some excellent footwork just four minutes later, weaving her way through the American defense before sliding the ball across the box for St. Martin to tap in over the diving Lazor. Play stopped for 90 minutes due to lightning shortly after St. Martin’s goal, but that didn’t help the Eagles get back in the game.

Another freshman earned her first collegiate goal to wrap up the scoring in the 80th minute, as midfielder Daphne Corboz latched onto a pass from and slotted the ball home. Wells was later named Big East offensive player of the week for her performances this weekend.

Georgetown returns to action at home this weekend, facing off against Towson on Friday at 3 p.m, A significantly tougher matchup, however, will take place on Sunday at 1 p.m. when No. 2 Stanford comes to town. The Cardinal beat the Hoyas in California last year, 2-0, and were undefeated before losing the national title game to Notre Dame.