Something to Chew On

If you know me at all, you know that exercise is not my thing. In fact, I’ve been to Yates only twice in the two years I’ve been here. I heavily rely on my freakish metabolism for basic survival (a plan that I realize is bound to fail me at some point). So yeah, exercise is not my thing.

But it turns out exercise is good for at least one thing: getting free food.

The one form of exercise I admittedly enjoy is dance. When my Bollywood dance group was invited by the International Student Association to perform at iParty last Saturday, we jumped at the chance. To sweeten up the deal, the ISA board offered us free meal tickets to use at the food tables set up by various Georgetown cultural clubs at iWEEK’s Eurofest. How could I say no?

After bringing down the house with our dance to “Sheila Ki Jawani,” we proceeded to nosh on Copley Lawn. I wound up with two platefuls of spanakopita, empanadas, pad thai, caldereta, baklava… you get the point. I left with a belly full of food from around the globe, as did the many passersby who showed up despite the clouds and cold.

As much as I’d like to think the crowds in attendance were there to watch me boogie, the vast majority were really there for the food. There were as many students sampling the food as there were sharing their country’s cuisine. And you know what? It was an awesome sight to see. I’m proud to go to a school that is able to celebrate its diversity in full force — and that has so many students willing to share in it.

Better yet, I love to see people coming together over food. This is exactly what pushed me to start writing this column in September, and I’ve witnessed it from week to week since then. Even in this final column of Breaking Bread, the message seems just as strong as ever: In many different ways, food brings people together.

I’ve learned some other things along the way — and I hope you have as well. Through this column, I’ve been schooled on Hmong history, tried African food for the first time and even eaten a pig’s ear, among other things. I’d like to think that I’ve become a better listener and storyteller.

And, most importantly to the hungry college student, I’ve mastered the art of pursuing free food shamelessly and often — even if I’ve had to dance for it.

Well, folks, I guess this is it for Breaking Bread. I think I’ve gotten everything I wanted out of this little experiment of mine: good food and good stories, straight from the mouths of Georgetown students themselves.

To all of the students I’ve interviewed in the past year, it has truly been my pleasure to hear your stories. Thank you for letting me share these stories and for introducing me to the world — with it a world of delicious food.