Gray Proposes Removal of Taxi Fare Cap

Traveling around the District may soon become more expensive, after Mayor Vincent Gray proposed the repeal of the $19 price ceiling on D.C. taxi rides last month.

Taxicab Commission Chairman Leon Swain announced plans to repeal the price cap at a Feb. 22 D.C. Council meeting, according to The Washington Post. The cancellation could take about 30 days to go into effect.

The new measure may prove problematic for Georgetown residents and visitors who use taxi service for extensive routes as a primary mode of transportation. The average cab ride from the front gates to Dupont Circle is $7.75 and $12.75 to Union Station, both in heavy traffic, according to the Post’s District Taxi Fare Estimator.

Some students choose to utilize taxi service because the nearest Metro stop to the university is across the Potomac River in Rosslyn, Va.

Though the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttles provides buses to the Rosslyn station as well as to other locations in D.C., some students prefer to hail a ride on the streets surrounding the university grounds.

“It is so much more convenient to catch a cab outside the front gates than to go all the way to Virginia to go out somewhere,” Arjun Amernath (SFS ’14) said.

Amernath said that the possibility of a taxi ride costing above $20 would influence the way he moves around the District.

“Instead of taking a cab, I would definitely find more things to do around here in Georgetown,” he said.

The repeal of the fare maximum would not only affect the travel plans of undergraduates living on campus, but also those of graduate students who commute to the Hilltop. Jeff Jager (GRD ’11) said cab service offers him definite advantages over other forms of transportation.

“The [public] bus takes too long, and you have to wait for it, and it’s never on schedule,” he said.  Metro rail transit is not useful for Jager because there is no station directly near his home in northwest D.C. or close to the Georgetown campus.

Jager added that while he is less worried about the repeal of the $19 cap, he would be concerned by alterations to the fare system as a whole.

The D.C. Council has already proposed the cap removal before. It would have gone into effect last October, but then-Mayor Adrian Fenty ordered that the cap remain, according to The Washington Post. Fenty also changed the fare charge system from the zone system to the more common meter system.

The D.C. Taxi Commission and the mayor’s office could not be reached for comment.