BASEBALL | 16 Hits Help Hoyas Beat Colonials

Hits were not hard to come by Wednesday.

The Georgetown baseball team (5-3) racked up 16 of them in a rout of local rival George Washington (2-6). Led by a pair of homers from senior third baseman Sean Lamont and reigning Big East player of the week junior right fielder Rand Ravnaas, the Hoyas jumped out to an early lead against the Colonials and held on for the 12-7 victory.

After playing from behind for most of last weekend, the Blue and Gray took an early lead against GWU. Ravnaas broke the scoreless gridlock in the third with a two-out solo shot to right-center field. Lamont then extended the lead to 3-1 with another two-out homer that also plated sophomore shortstop Mike Garza.

The two-out scoring continued in the fourth inning with a two-run double from sophomore center fielder Justin Leeson, which scored freshman first baseman Steve Anderson and sophomore infielder Paul Bello. Leeson went on to score on a single to center by Ravnaas, which increased the Georgetown lead to 6-0.

Freshman starting pitcher Alex Baker was not overshadowed by his team’s offensive explosion, though. The North Carolina native dominated over his five innings of work, earning his first collegiate win by giving up only one run and two hits while walking none and striking out six.

After Baker departed, junior Billy Cosmopulos and senior Jack Bender each threw a scoreless inning in the relief effort, leaving the score at 6-1 after seven.

But the Blue and Gray offense was far from done at that point. Anderson started another big inning with a two-run double, scoring senior first baseman Dan Capeless and senior catcher Erick Fernandez. Leeson followed with another double, scoring Anderson. After Ravnaas drew a walk, Garza delivered another double, scoring Leeson and putting Raynaas on third. Lamont then put a cap on the six-run eighth with a two-run single that brought Ravnaas and Garza home.

The Hoyas hit a speed bump in the bottom of the eighth when the Colonials responded with a six-run rally of their own. After GWU cut the deficit to six, Head Coach Pete Wilk summoned senior pitcher Jared Cohen to stop the bleeding. Cohen yielded one run but prevented the inning from getting completely out of hand, and the Blue and Gray went into the ninth with a still-comfortable 12-7 lead.

Graduate student Mike Seander walked one man in the ninth but allowed the Colonials nothing else, and Georgetown coasted to the finish line for its fifth win of the year.

Six Hoyas had at least two hits in the team’s best offensive performance of the year, and only one starter went hitless. Leeson finished 3-5 with three RBI, while Ravnaas continued his hot streak, going 3-4 with two RBI. Lamont, Fernandez, Anderson and Bello each had two hits.

Georgetown now heads down to Florida for Rollins College Baseball Week, with their first game scheduled for Saturday against Maine. Also awaiting the Blue and Gray are Penn and the tournament host, Rollins.