NSSC Draws Big Donation

With Georgetown’s Feb. 20 announcement that the Healey Family Foundation will make a major donation to the New South Student Center, plans for the center’s construction are underway.

The Healey Family Student Center will cost approximately $21 million, $10.7 million of which has already been raised. The amount of the gift from the Healey Family Foundation has not been disclosed, but the building will bear the family’s name.

The foundation facilitates the philanthropy of Thomas (C ’64) and Meg Healey, their son Jeremy (COL ’95) and his wife Megan Healey (COL ’95) and Megan and John Hagerty, daughter and son-in-law of Thomas and Meg. They are of no relation to University President Fr. Patrick Healy, S.J., the namesake of Healy Hall.

The center will include a central “great room,” a pub, a terrace and space for study groups and dance studios, along with the Students of Georgetown, Inc.’s proposed salad and smoothie shop.

The Corp polled students about this storefront in Sellinger Lounge on Thursday. The service, tentatively named “The Corp New South Student Center Salad and Smoothie Shop,” is expected to launch in fall 2014 when the student center opens. It will serve made-to-order and pre-made sandwiches and salads, along with yogurt and baked goods. Drink selections will include smoothies, coffee, soda and iced tea.

“What we’re really trying to do is bring The Corp to the next level,” CEO Michael West (COL ’13) said. “We want a very fresh, healthy feel.”

According to draft floor plans, seating will consist of two long tables, one against a wall and another in the center of the store. Based on the floor plan, the new service appears to be larger than The Corp’s current coffee shops, and according to West, the store occupies over 2,000 sq. feet.

According to Director of Marketing Keaton Bedell (COL ’13), The Corp is working with the university and Restaurant Consultants, Inc., a food service development company, to develop the designs.

“We spent a lot of time asking ‘What do Hoyas want this to be?’” incoming Director of Marketing Emily Coch (COL ’15) said of the informal survey. “The idea of this is for students to come and comment on what they want.”

Staffers asked passing students about current food service methods on campus, such as the buffet and made-to-order stations in O’Donovan Hall. Positive responses were recorded on Post-its that were subsequently pasted on a board in a representation of what students preferred.

Students were also asked about restaurant ambiance, which could be anything from open and upscale to casual and cozy.

“Someplace like Baked & Wired is more homey, but you’re not going to have a big meeting there,”Coch said.

However, West said that The Corp’s location would likely be secondary to the New South Pub.

Members of the Healey family did not respond to repeated requests for comment.