WOMEN’S TENNIS | Hoyas Extend Win Streak

The Georgetown women’s tennis team (10-8, 5-2 Big East) picked up yet another win over a conference foe on Wednesday in a decisive 4-2 victory over Pittsburgh (8-11, 2-7 Big East).

The win comes right on the heels of a historic achievement for the Blue and Gray. On Wednesday, junior Lauren Greco was named Big East player of the week, becoming the first Georgetown tennis player — male or female — to receive the honor.

“I’m so proud of Lauren,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “We’ve never had a player here in my time that’s won it, men or women. It’s great for the program, too. She deserves it.”

In the match against the Panthers, Greco, playing at No. 2 singles, faced an uphill battle against freshman Jocelyn Lu. Greco defeated Lu in the first set 6-3 but stumbled in the second set, losing it 6-4 to send the match to a decisive third set. Unfortunately for the Blue and Gray, Greco could not build on the previous week’s momentum and lost the third set and the match.

However, the rest of the Blue and Gray lineup stepped up and helped the team to its seventh consecutive victory as the Hoyas inch towards the Big East tournament.

At first singles, graduate student and captain Stephanie Wetmore won an easy 6-0, 6-1 victory over sophomore Gabi Catanzariti. Similarly, sophomore Vicky Sekely dominated Panther freshman Kimmy Borza, 6-0, 6-0, at third singles. At fourth singles freshman Tina Tehrani faced off against sophomore Karma Parbhu and emerged with a 6-3, 6-1 win despite a brief first-set scare. Rounding out the singles wins for the Hoyas was freshman Maddie Jaeger, who defeated freshman Brittney Russell, 6-1, 6-4, at fifth singles.

“Our strength [is] that we’re so deep now,” Ernst said. “Stephanie stepped up in crunch [time]. And Tina did well as well. And Vicky won, 6-0, 6-0. That’s how tough we are. If we have one player in our lineup who’s off, other girls are going to step up.”

The only other Hoya to lose was sophomore Alex Landers, who fell to junior Minh Evans at sixth singles. Landers came out of the gates fast with a 6-4 first-set win, but the second set went Evans’ way. She then won the Panthers’ second tiebreaker of the day, a tight 11-9 affair that went right down to the wire.

Despite the two tough losses for Greco and Landers, Georgetown emerged from the match with a 4-2 win over the Panthers.

The next match, the Hoyas’ final contest at the McDonough outdoor tennis complex this season, will be against Bucknell tomorrow at 1 p.m.

“Winning is a learned behavior,” Ernst said. “When you do it enough, it becomes part of who you are. Our girls expect to win now, as opposed to hope to win.”