When Abroad, Make New Friends But Keep the Old

I may not have found “the one,” but I have found my partner in all things cafe-related, and that’s perfect for me right now.

I would like to start off with a disclaimer: We did not plan on studying abroad together. In fact, we were both torn between two programs and, coincidentally, we both chose Copenhagen.

Megan and I met freshman year on the best floor ever — Darnall five. Although on the surface, there might not seem to be all that much in common between a Texan studying government and Chinese and a New Yorker studying finance and OPIM, we ended up bonding over our love of food. Hands down, she makes some of the most creative meals in Leo’s and has taught me a thing or two about perfecting the breakfast burrito on many a weekend morning. When Leo’s brunch just won’t cut it, we’ll venture over Key Bridge to Rosslyn for some authentic dim sum that would put Ping Pong Dim Sum to shame.

Now that we’ve found ourselves studying at the same school and living a mere 15-minute bike ride away, it’s easy to fall into the old friend groups we had because of the familiarity, but we recognize the importance of branching out and making new friends. We’ve definitely balanced seeing each other, spending time with our new friends and incorporating each other into our new social circles. However, we have one time-honored tradition in Copenhagen thus far: Cafe Tuesdays.

Every Tuesday at 13:00 (military time is used here) we meet at the fountain in the square near school to eat our smørrebrød and discuss our cafe plans for the afternoon. It’s not as close to “Gossip Girl” on the Met steps as it sounds, though there was a drunk homeless man trying to kick pigeons in our spot last time and I was highly disappointed. But back to food. Smørrebrød is the epitome of a traditional Danish lunch. It is an open-faced sandwich topped with whatever your heart desires. Many are topped with herring, cheese and vegetables. Since I make my own smørrebrød on a tight budget (largely due to money spent at cafes), my usual is Brie, chorizo and spinach.

Our requirements for a Cafe Tuesday location are fairly simple: free Wi-Fi, good seating, equally good coffee and pastries and, most importantly, somewhere new. Copenhagen’s streets are literally lined with cafes, so it’s not difficult to pick somewhere new. We both take Cafe Tuesdays seriously enough that we do adequate research beforehand, which includes, but is not limited to, Google, Pinterest, TripAdvisor, blogs and, of course, biking directions from the fountain.

In Cafe Tuesdays past, we’ve tried homemade croissants fresh out of the oven and drank coffee made in a Chemex — a manual, pour-over style glass coffee maker — which was appropriately from Kent Kaffe Laboratorium. At our most recent Cafe Tuesday, we somewhat stumbled upon the selected location. Because of some outdated records, we scoured for Lyst, a spot which, we have come to find out, no longer exists. With help from some locals, we instead went down the street and settled on Retro Café.

The barista was arguably the nicest Dane that I have encountered thus far and she helped us with all our food and drink decision making. We decided on spiced chai teas-and a slice of apple tart and chocolate cake to share. These were not life-changing desserts, but the atmosphere of the cafe and the chai teas made up for it.

Although we did not intend on studying abroad together, I have lost count of how many times I’ve told people how happy I am to have a friend like Megan with me abroad. It’s nice to have a part of home with you when you’re in a completely unknown world. I’m looking forward to the rest of our travels together and, of course, to the next Cafe Tuesday.

Christina Wing is a junior in the McDonough School of Business. DAMSEL IN DENMARK appears every other Friday in the guide.