Danish Food Market Bursts with Flavor

Every Wednesday at approximately 5:30 p.m., I get a Facebook notification reminding me that the Georgetown University Farmers’ Market starts in 30 minutes.  Although I have greatly missed all of the free samples and the fresh smell of crepes walking to my classes in the ICC, I have found a consoling refuge in Copenhagen at Torvehallerne KBH.

With more than 60 stalls split between the two glass buildings, Torvehallerne, better known as “the glass market,” is the biggest food market in Copenhagen. The incredible market attracts more than 60,000 vistitors each week with its array of tempting treats. In Hall 1, there are mainly savory foods while most of the sweets and cafes can be found in Hall 2. In between the halls are farmers selling their fresh, organic produce and the occasional pop-up restaurant.

Fortunately for me, but somewhat unfortunately for my wallet, I bike past Torvehallerne every day on my commute to and from classes. On my early morning bike ride, the shops are just opening and the fresh roast of Coffee Collective, arguably some of the best coffee in Copenhagen, can be smelled from across the street. In the early evenings, things are in full swing. Crowds of people are shopping for dinner, meeting friends for drinks and standing right in the middle of the bike lane (to add to the stress of my rush hour commute).

I have greatly exercised my willpower by not stopping every day and limiting myself to one weekly trip. Each time that I enter, I find myself still mesmerized at all of the amazing options. I could easily go every day from now until the end of my semester and still not get bored with my choices. By now, I have gotten my technique down on how to properly walk around the glass market, savory hall and then the sweets hall, and for the most part, how to time things just right, mid-afternoons on weekdays.

My weekly trips have allowed me to expand my culinary experiences all under one (well, two), roofs. On my first go around, it took me over an hour to decide where I would eat and I ended up only getting a pastry from what I later found out to be a chain bakery. On the plus side, the free samples led to a greater understanding of which ones would let you pass by a few times without giving you dirty looks. On my second trip, I went on a fresh produce mission, only to find out that basil will die if you leave for a week, so I left with just a few apples.

The third time was the charm. I had reinforcements, my two friends, on this mission: lunch. We walked around all morning and needed lunch stat. As it was their first time to Torvehallerne, it was mandatory that we go through both halls before deciding where to eat. After passing by rød twice, we had made our decision.

Rød is a kind of Danish porridge that can be eaten as a meal, snack or dessert. It has the same consistency as oatmeal but a heartier texture. The taste largely depends on which bowl you choose since the porridge itself doesn’t have much of a flavor. I chose the Indian-style rød, which consisted of chickpeas and greens in curry sauce with a yogurt topping. The combination of the spicy and cool sauces atop the warm, hearty rød and chick peas was perfection. It was exactly what I needed to warm up and it was much more filling than soup.

I can now proudly say that I have almost mastered the glass market. I have a “go-to” fish place and regular rapport with some of the farmers about the best tomatoes. I even found a non-chain bakery to get my pastries. It might have taken me three trips for a “successful” trip to the glass market, but as with everything else during study abroad, it is all a learning experience, and I’m just here for the (bike) ride.

Christina Wing is a junior in the McDonough School of Business studying abroad in Copenhagen. Damsel in Denmark appears every other Friday.