DESHPANDE: Embrace Spices, Not Prescriptions

Unlike the bland and insipid food of Leo’s, Indian food is seasoned, sautéed and garnished with a range of exotic spices.

My mother’s pantry stocks a spectrum of fragrant masalas, herbs and natural powders that range from bright scarlet to carob brown. These spices play an integral role in our household; not only do they transform meals into flavorful masterpieces, but they also come in handy during the cold and flu season.

When suffering from a stuffy nose, a sore throat or an irritatingly persistent cough, there isn’t much a doctor can do for you. Viruses go away at their leisure, and since health practitioners these days are hesitant to prescribe antibiotics with the rise of superbugs, you’ll end up at a CVS pharmacy looking through the stacks of cold medication, deciding whether to take Sudafed, Mucinex, Robitussin or all three.

My doctor always gives me the same advice when I am sick – drink more fluids, rest and take over-the-counter medication. The assumption is that the pharmaceutical drugs will help control my ever-leaky nose and scratchy throat. However, none of my doctors ever encourage me to try natural remedies.

This is rather unfortunate because traditional solutions are less harsh on the body, less expensive and equally if not more effective than the self-medicating route.

There is a plethora of traditional homemade remedies that we can use to treat our maladies, yet tragically, not many physicians know about them. If they do, they are not prescribing them as often as they should.

Today, doctors seem to serve a drug dispensing capacity in society rather than serving as an advice and knowledge resource. If you don’t believe me, try visiting your doctor the next time you come down with a virus. After peering at your throat, up your nose and in your eyes, your physician will probably give a sigh and an unenthusiastic “we’ll just have to let the virus run its course.”

Going to the doctor for anything except a raging bacterial infection is useless because we are not given advice on how to deal with our illnesses.

In fact, there are times when Google can act as a better doctor because at the very least it provides clear tips on managing symptoms.

When was the last time your doctor prescribed you ginger, honey or holy basil remedies for your runny nose or barking cough?

Did your physician ever advise you to use peppermint or lavender oil to relieve your throbbing migraines?
Society has become so dependent on drugs to cure its ailments that it has turned a blind eye to traditional remedies that have worked for thousands of years and represent the combined wisdom of previous generations.

My family uses many traditional Ayurvedic remedies — a system of natural healing that originates from India. These remedies employ the use of various spices and herbs, and they are stunningly effective in reducing the severity of illnesses.

One spice that we frequently use is called turmeric. This mighty golden colored powder has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

It can additionally be used as an antiseptic if you run out of Betadine, and when it is eaten with honey or added to milk, it can help prevent and fight sickness. Another remedy that my grandmother has passed on is a medicinal tea we call “kadha”.

This tea is made by steeping healing spices such as cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, black peppercorn, holy basil, ginger and saffron in water; it is great for easing nausea or curing sore throats.

Though traditional remedies may not bring instant symptom relief, they are an excellent and potent alternative to the usual chemical concoctions that we feed our bodies when sick. Instead of depending on harsh over-the-counter solutions that can be addicting and have pernicious side effects, both doctors and patients should be more aware and accepting of natural panacea.

Each culture has its own arsenal of traditional medication that has been passed down over generations; if doctors were to familiarize themselves with the robust range of natural treatment options, we would have a healthier, happier populace with greater trust in physicians’ capabilities.

The next time you come down with a cold, I encourage you to be adventurous by exploring some natural remedies before turning to Nyquil.

Nikita Deshpande is a freshman in the College. The Century Cap appears every other Friday.