Tennis | Top Calif. Teams Pose Next Challenges

After beating DePaul right on its campus last Friday, the Georgetown men’s tennis team will travel 3,000 miles to California to compete in multiple contests, including the 126th Annual Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles tournament and individual matches against UC Riverside (0-7), UC Irvine (6-8) and UC San Diego (6-4).

The Pacific Coast Doubles tournament, which will be hosted in La Jolla, Calif., is the second-oldest tennis event in the country.

“San Diego is one of the best teams in Division II in the country, so they’re good,” Ernst said. “It’s going to be a lot of competition for the guys. It’s not going to be a lot of beach time for these guys; [it will be] a lot of tennis.”

Other teams competing at the tournament include Big East rivals St. John’s and Villanova, as well as William & Mary, Boston College, Rice University, UC Davis and Ohio State, among others.

Graduate student Andrew Dottino and senior Shane Korber are seeded 12th in the tournament, and they will take on a duo from Ohio State this afternoon. Sophomore Jordan Portner and freshman Mac Rechnan are seeded 28th, and they will play against Villanova. Junior Daniel Khanin and sophomore Jack Murphy are seeded 52nd, freshman Marco Lam and senior Alex Tropiano are seeded 66th and freshman Peter Beatty and senior John Brosens are seeded 73rd.

Coach Ernst and Assistant Coach Brian Ward, seeded 123rd, will also compete.

“It’s an amazing tournament. In fact, I’m going to play with Brian; there are people who play who aren’t just college students,” Ernst said.

This is the second consecutive year in which the men’s squad has travelled to the West Coast during the Hoyas’ spring break. Last year, they also competed against UC Riverside and UC Irvine. Georgetown fell to both teams.

In their match against UC Riverside, the Hoyas dropped two out of their three doubles matches, leaving the last match unfinished. They split the six singles matches, triumphing at first, third and fourth singles.

The following day, Georgetown fell to UC Irvine in a 5-2 result. Again, Georgetown lost two out of its three doubles matches. Then freshman Jack Murphy and junior Alex Tropiano won their match (8-4) in the second doubles slot, but the first and third doubles pairings dropped their matches 8-6 and 8-3, respectively. The Hoyas proceeded to fall in four of the six following singles matches.

UCSD lost 7-2 in its last match to Claremont-Mudd Scripps on Feb. 28, but it won its previous three matches in resounding victories with scores of 7-2, 8-1 and 9-0.

The winless UC Riverside has had two consecutive disappointing seasons, as its victory against Georgetown last year was one of its two wins on the season. Though UC Irvine’s record is currently below .500, it is coming into March with a 4-2 record in its last six matches.

Meanwhile, the Georgetown women’s tennis team (6-1, 0-1 Big East) will take on the Seton Hall Pirates (3-4) in the Hoyas’ second Big East matchup of their 2015 spring season. The Hoyas are 5-1 in match play against the Pirates in the teams’ last six meetings.

“Every year — the last four or five years, at least — we’ve beaten Seton Hall,” Ernst said. “It’s always tight, they always play us hard, but we always seem to squeak by. We’ve got to be ready for them. I think [sophomore Victoire Saperstein] and the girls can get it done.”

The match was originally slated for Feb. 8, but weather conditions postponed it to tomorrow. The contest will take place in Morristown, N.J., beginning at 5 p.m.