SANTAMARIA: College Stars With the Most At Stake in the Big Dance

Every college basketball team with aspirations for success in the NCAA tournament has a star player — someone to carry the burden, lead his team through adversity and come through in the clutch. Davidson’s Stephen Curry, Butler’s Gordon Hayward and Connecticut’s Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier all led their teams to stunning runs in the NCAA tournament, and as a result their NBA draft stocks soared.

A few players this year, including Providence’s Kris Dunn, Eastern Washington’s Tyler Harvey, Virginia’s Justin Anderson and Duke’s Justise Winslow, have that same potential. Although these players will likely continue their careers in the NBA, these players have their schools’ championship hopes and legacies resting squarely on their shoulders. Thus, March Madness can have a profound impact, either positive or negative, on many of these player’s careers. No pressure.

MOST TO GAIN
Kris Dunn – Sophomore Guard, Providence Friars:
Most Hoya fans will remember Dunn’s phenomenal performances against Georgetown this season, but he is much more than just a Hoya slayer: he is a bona fide stud. Dunn earned Big East Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year while averaging an impressive 15 points, five rebounds, seven assists and nearly three steals per game. In addition, Dunn has shown poise under pressure that is typical of top NBA players, especially down the stretch of the Big East Tournament semifinal against Villanova, when he scored multiple key baskets in the final minutes.

Dunn, however, is prone to turn the ball over. If he can overcome that tendency and lead the Friars to a Sweet 16 run, he could see his draft stock soar even higher than his current mid-late first round projection, should he choose to enter the draft.

Tyler Harvey – Sophomore Guard, Eastern Washington Eagles:
In spite of Eastern Washington’s loss to Georgetown in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Harvey had everything to gain from playing in this tournament. Averaging 23 points per game on 47 percent shooting from the field and 43 percent from three, Harvey currently projects as a late second round pick. However, his strong outing against the Hoyas in the national spotlight could greatly benefit his future.

There are also players for whom bad performances would spell disaster for not just their draft stock,but for their teams as well. For these players, their NBA careers may not be in question, but the note on which they leave their respective schools and enter the pros is.

MOST TO LOSE
Justin Anderson – Junior Guard, Virginia Cavaliers:
The pressure of Virginia’s tournament run is nothing new to Anderson, who missed most of February and the beginning of March with a broken finger and an appendectomy. The Cavaliers dominated with Anderson on the floor, struggled during his time away and have not looked like the same team since his return, partially due to his struggles to return to form.

Currently projected as a late first-rounder, Anderson could still carry his team to the status where most pundits placed it before his injury: the most legitimate threat to ending Kentucky’s historic season. But if he continues the poor shooting and lackluster defense that have plagued him since his return, Anderson’s draft stock and Virginia’s fortunes as a team could suffer. He is the heart of this Cavalier team, and he must play well for them, or they will likely face an early exit.

Justise Winslow – Freshman Forward, Duke Blue Devils:
It may sound crazy, but many call Justise Winslow Duke’s best NBA prospect, despite the fact that he is on a team with Jahlil Okafor, who is currently the predicted No. 1 overall pick. Winslow’s ceiling is limitless, but he still has so much to prove and so much to lose. A very raw talent, Winslow relies heavily on his athleticism and strength.
However, physical ability will only get you so far in March. He will have to step up his skill level, his biggest question mark as a pro, if Duke is to win big in March.

With an off-balance jumper and questionable ball-handling skills, Winslow is not an ideal one-on-one player. But he will have to be if he hopes to solidify himself as a top-10 pick and help lead Duke to where they want to be. At this point, it is without question that Okafor will deliver. The rest is on Winslow.

PaoloSantamaria_Sketch

Paolo Santamaria is a freshman in the College. SAXA SYNERGY appears every Friday.