Summer Movies

As the semester ends, rejoice at all the free time on yours hands, and take advantage of the opportunity to get out of the heat and see some great films this summer.

Science Fiction

Science fiction fantasies star in this summer’s lineup, with a few highly anticipated movies finally arriving with all their stunning special effects and adrenaline-inducing plotlines.

LEGENDARY PICTURES
LEGENDARY PICTURES

Fourteen years after the last film from the “Jurassic Park” series, the fourth installment, “Jurassic World” (June 12), is finally hitting screens nationwide. Set 22 years after the events of “Jurassic Park,” an island near Costa Rica is now home to a dinosaur theme park, with Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) conducting behavioral research on one group of dinosaurs. All is well until the classically evil and ignorant corporation demands that a new hybrid dinosaur be created at the park, ultimately putting everyone in danger. The plot may not be very original, but the special effects promise to impress.

WALT DISNEY PICTURES
WALT DISNEY PICTURES

However, it is the bizarre and captivating special effects in “Tomorrowland” (May 22) that are really worth some attention. Disney has done a pretty good job of keeping the plot of their project under wraps, but the trailer reveals the basic premise of a quirky scientist and a teenage girl able to travel to some mysterious place in time and space, “Tomorrowland,” only to discover that their actions there affect the world and themselves. If the fact that it stars George Clooney is not enough to entice you, the visuals certainly will.

For those looking for more of a thriller, “Self/Less” promises to be an exciting drama. A wealthy aristocrat dying of cancer — played by Ben Kingsley — takes part in a radical experimental medical procedure where his consciousness is transferred into the younger body of Ryan Reynolds. Drama ensues as the new consciousness discovers the past of the younger body he occupies.

Comedy

This summer there will be plenty of light-hearted comedies to keep you entertained. Melissa McCarthy, for better or worse, has successfully carved out her niche in comedy, and returns to her comedy roots in “Spy” (June 5). Alongside an all-star cast including Jude Law, Rose Byrne and, randomly, 50 Cent, McCarthy plays a CIA analyst tied to her desk who is finally given the opportunity to go on a mission. This may not be a novel role for McCarthy, but it is guaranteed to give you a few laughs.

The less-established, fresh comedy star Amy Schumer is coming to the big screen in “Trainwreck” (July 17), which she wrote herself. In a new take on the romantic comedy, Schumer plays a New York journalist determined to stay single, only to find herself falling for a surgeon (Bill Hader) who is the subject of a story she is writing. With an amazing ensemble cast including Tilda Swinton, Ezra Miller and LeBron James, this could be one of the most original comedies of the season.

RELATIVITY MEDIA
RELATIVITY MEDIA

One of the comedies everyone should be excited about this summer is “Masterminds” (August 14), mainly because it features an exciting new comedy duo — Zach Galifianakis and Kristen Wiig. It’s an offbeat, bizarre heist comedy, and with these two starring it’s sure to be a hilarious watch.

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

For a musical treat, “Pitch Perfect 2” (May 15) will hopefully be as entertaining as the original. Critics have already started raving about how well it celebrates the outsiders, but the a cappella covers should be enough to liven up your summer.

Romance

For those looking for a romantic tearjerker this break, the studios have made sure you have plenty to choose from. For those looking for a period drama, “Far from the Madding Crowd” (May 1) is certain to satisfy. Starring Carey Mulligan as the fiercely independent Bathsheba Everdene, this fourth adaptation of Thomas Hardy’s romantic drama pulls out the heartache that always wins over audiences.

20TH CENTURY FOX
20TH CENTURY FOX

For those looking for a more modern love story, “Paper Towns” (July 24), the latest John Green adaptation, is not to be missed. British supermodel Cara Delevingne makes her leading role debut as the complicated Margo Roth Spiegelman, who mysteriously disappears one day, leading Quentin Jacobsen (Nat Wolff) on a wild road trip to try and find her. While this is a unique and intriguing plot, it has enough tinges of John Green drama to keep fans of the tremendously successful “The Fault in our Stars” satisfied.

COLUMBIA PICTURES
COLUMBIA PICTURES

Of course, all Hoyas are obligated to see the latest Bradley Cooper endeavor. The alum stars in “Aloha” (May 29) as a defense contractor who returns to Hawaii after a failed assignment, only to find himself torn between his new work partner Allison (Emma Stone) and his past love Tracy (Rachel McAdams). It’s the dream cast for a romantic comedy, and the fact that Bill Murray features as the “voice of wisdom” figure makes it all the better. This won’t be the exciting film of the summer, but it will be the kind of comforting romantic movie that everyone inevitably falls for.