Best of Athletics 2014-15

Team of the Year | Grit, Leadership Contribute to Highly Successful Season

COURTESY GEORGETOWN  SPORTS INFORMATION Georgetown’s men’s soccer team had a 14-4-5 record in 2014, earneing NCAA tournament wins over Old Dominion and Syracuse before falling to Virginia in penalty kicks in the Elite 8.
COURTESY GEORGETOWN SPORTS INFORMATION

Even after battling through a series of difficult opponents, the Georgetown men’s soccer team’s combination of talent and grit earned it consistent success and national recognition, and it has thus been chosen as The Hoya’s 2014-2015 Team of the Year.

Male Athlete of The Year | Yaro’s Speed, Skill Bolstered Stout Defense

FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA Sophomore center back Joshua Yaro was an All-American in 2014.
FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA

National acclaim has flooded in for sophomore defender Joshua Yaro after his second season at Georgetown. As part of a series of postseason recognition for the best center back in the country, he was named a Hermann Award Semifinalist, first team All-American and Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Female Athlete of the Year | Dynamic Corboz Spearheaded GU’s Offense

FILE PHOTO: DAN GANNON/THE HOYA Senior midfielder Daphne Corboz is the Hoyas’ all-time leading scorer.
FILE PHOTO: DAN GANNON/THE HOYA

Senior midfielder Daphne Corboz, whom The Hoya has named Female Athlete of the Year for her impressive play for and leadership of Georgetown’s women’s soccer team in a successful season, will sign with Manchester City Women’s Football Club in the summer transfer window.

Coach of the Year | Warne Leads Resurgence

COURTESY GEORGETOWN SPORTS INFORMATION Head Coach Kevin Warne led the Hoyas to 10 wins.
COURTESY GEORGETOWN SPORTS INFORMATION

2015 was a milestone year for the Georgetown men’s lacrosse program in many ways. In just his third year on the Hilltop, Head Coach Kevin Warne led the Hoyas to a winning record, a national ranking and an appearance in the Big East Championship.