Inside D.C.’s Farmers’ Markets

Wing_Sketch On any given Wednesday afternoon during the school year, you can find me stopped at the Georgetown University Farmers’ Market sampling the fresh fruit and vegetables and waiting anxiously in line for my non-Leo’s lunch. Going to the farmers’ market became a weekly ritual that I always looked forward to. As a temporary replacement to the Georgetown University Farmers’ Market, I have found solace in the other farmers’ markets that D.C. has to offer and have even coined my trips “Market Sundays.”

My newest farmers’ market infatuation began with the Dupont Circle Farmers’ Market on Sundays. Taking a shortcut via the trail at Rose Park on M Street, the walk is adequately shaded and goes by quickly, especially when walking and retelling your weekend to friends (special shout-outs to Courtney Klein and Megan McGlinchey).

The farmers’ market literally closes down three streets spanning near the Q Street entrance to the Dupont Circle metro. They sell everything from the classic and expected fresh fruit and vegetables and fresh-cut flowers to the not so expected including orchid plants, cold soup and crab cakes. If you’re living on your own for the summer, it’s a great place to kick start your grocery shopping, inspire your weekly recipes and support local businesses.

Further out of the way, but still very accessible via the Blue and Orange line, is Eastern Market. Although Eastern Market is open Tuesday through Sunday every week, the best, but unfortunately the most crowded, day to go is on Sundays. On Sundays, the market expands to the parking lot across the way.

Inside Eastern Market are the world’s best blueberry buckwheat pancakes (and by the world’s best, I made that judgment call) at Market Lunch. The line might look intimidatingly long, but it is worth the wait. Go with a friend and also get an omelet so you can get the proper balance of sweet and savory, carbs and protein. Also inside are fish and meat stands, a small florist and a small grocer with specialty foods.

Outside there are different farmers selling fruits, vegetables, homemade jams and other kitchen necessities. On Sundays, there are also arts and crafts vendors. To be completely frank, I was skeptical at first. From a distance, all of the stands seem to sell the same things at any other “craft fair” – jewelry, old records and a hodge podge of garage sale-esque items. However, at a closer look, each stand has its own unique personality. I happily walked away with my very own handmade metal ampersand sign for my room while Courtney added to her travel wall with a cool travel print poster.

In my opinion, I’ve saved the best market for last. Although it’s the farthest away, it is worth the trek. Union Market is located one metro stop past Union Station and houses some of the best cheap fare that D.C. has to offer. I highly suggest bringing a friend or two so you can all get different foods to split. On my latest trip, I brought a friend from out-of-town before dropping her off at Union Station. We got TaKorean (Korean-style tacos), empanadas, and Maison Dixie. Although I’m biased to any and all things Korean-related, the bacon, egg, and cheese on a biscuit from Maison Dixie changed my life. As a self-proclaimed BEC aficionado (courtesy of Long Island), this was the best BEC I have ever tasted. Although Union Market might be “lacking” in non-food related stands, after a bite of Maison Dixie, you won’t even question why you went all this way and you’ll surely want to come back for more.

Christina Wing is a rising senior in the McDonough School of Business. Living like a Local appears every other Sunday at thehoya.com.