GU Hires First Access Coordinator

The Georgetown University Student Association announced Friday that the university hired Anisha Thadani as its first access coordinator and events manager, a position that will address accessibility issues for students with disabilities on campus.

According to a statement released by GUSA, Thadani began work in August. She will be the primary point of contact for issues related to campus spaces and access routes, and will oversee programming requests.

The appointment comes after student advocacy over the past few years to improve campus accessibility for students with disabilities. In meetings between GUSA and student advocates, both called for the university to coordinate resources for students with disabilities in a more streamlined manner.

GUSA President Joe Luther (COL ’16) expressed his excitement to work with Thadani in her new role.

“We are happy to welcome Ms. Thadani to Georgetown and are excited about the work she will do to improve accessibility. We will continue to work with student advocates both inside and outside of GUSA to make Georgetown a more accessible place for all,” Luther wrote in a statement.

In the past year, initiatives such as the campaign for a Disability Cultural Center at Georgetown have also gained traction. In February, former GUSA President Trevor Tezel (SFS ’15) and Vice President Omika Jikaria (SFS ’15) expressed their support for the DCC, which was initiated by former GUSA Undersecretary for Disability Affairs Lydia Brown (COL ’15).

As these efforts continue, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said that he looks forward to working with Thadani and GUSA to address important issues related to accessibility.

“We are enthused to have Anisha Thadani join our staff team, and we’re pleased to work together with GUSA and our students to strengthen our work on critical issues of accessibility,” Olson wrote in a statement.

Thadani declined to comment on her new position.