Women’s Lacrosse | GU Picks Up Second Win at GMU

FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA Senior midfielder Kristen Bandos leads Georgetown with 13 goals this season.
FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA
Senior attack Corinne Etchison has nine goals and six assists so far this season.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team (2-5) beat George Mason (2-2), 15-12 on the road in its second victory of the season Wednesday night. The win marked the 13th consecutive time the Hoyas have beaten the Patriots dating back to the beginning of George Mason’s program in 1994.

Senior attack Corinne Etchison and freshman attack Taylor Gebhardt each scored four goals for the Hoyas. Etchison has scored nine goals so far this season, while Gebhardt currently has scored seven. Senior attack Kelsey Perselay added two goals, and five other players each scored a goal, including senior midfielder Kristen Bandos for her 13th goal of the season. On George Mason’s team, junior attack Jacquelyn Spalding led the way with three goals and two assists. Junior midfielder Brooke Lorber also had a hat trick and an assist.

Georgetown graduate student attack Morgan Rubin scored the first goal of the game within the first minute, followed by a goal from Etchison, giving the Hoyas an early 2-0 advantage. George Mason responded with two quick goals and the teams went back and forth to end the first half with a 6-5 Patriots lead.

After trading goals with the Patriots in the beginning of the second half, the Hoyas went on a 7-0 run within a span of 13 minutes.

Head Coach Ricky Fried said this stretch created the momentum that led Georgetown to victory.

“George Mason played really well and they played hard. It took us a little while to get the game going with the rain delay, but going into the second half we had a seven-goal run where we did everything really well, from picking up ground balls to forcing turnovers on defense to executing down the field, which really separated us at the end. This run showed what we were capable of and how well we can play together,” Fried said.

After the Patriots notched two goals to end the Hoyas’ run, Georgetown came right back less than 20 seconds later, eventually extending its lead to 14-9. The Patriots rallied with three more goals, but the Hoyas’ defense stayed strong, and they closed out the game with a goal from senior defender Natalie Miller with 1:36 left.

This win was crucial for the Hoyas, who started the season on a four-game losing streak. Fried said his team needed this win as they look toward the rest of the season.

“The biggest thing from this game is taking away the confidence that we can win. We need to focus on playing with more consistency,” Fried said.

Senior goalkeeper Megan McDonald had two saves in goal for a total of 26 this season, and junior goalkeeper Maddy Fisher recorded four saves during her time in the cage in the second half.

The Blue and Gray outshot the Patriots 24-21 and clinched 17 draw controls to George Mason’s 11. George Mason held a slight advantage in ground balls, 15-13, but the Hoyas took nine free-position shots, converting on six of them, compared to the Patriots’ 2-of-3.

The Hoyas will face No. 19 Johns Hopkins (6-3) at home on Cooper Field on Saturday afternoon. Johns Hopkins will enter the contest coming off a narrow 12-11 victory over Vanderbilt (4-4).

Fried stressed the importance of the upcoming games in order for his team to make it to championship play at the end of the season.

“We have two games left in the non-conference part of our season, so we need to focus on those two games. The conference games are a critical part of our season and we need to do well in order to complete our NCAA aspirations,” Fried said.