One for Georgetown Returns for Second Year

One for Georgetown, an annual philanthropic effort led by the 1634 Society, returned for its second year with more events and a $100,000 matched donation to endow scholarships April 4. A one dollar donation to the One for Georgetown campaign allows students access to several events with food and prizes.

The 1634 Society is a student-led organization working with the university’s Office of Advancement to educate students about philanthropy and service while connecting them with Georgetown alumni.

The 1634 Society has used the One for Georgetown campaign in the past to build student engagement in fundraising and community. This year, the group established the One for Georgetown Scholarship, which will fund four $25,000 scholarships through an anonymous alumni donor.

The group aims to see 35 percent participation among freshmen, sophomores and juniors. All the proceeds from student donations will be added to the scholarship in addition to the previously secured $100,000 donation.

When the One for Georgetown initiative was founded, the campaign lasted one week and was directed only toward freshman. The following year, the 1634 Society hosted a separate program called 4 for 4, a philanthropic event for sophomores. This is the second year the 1634 Society has hosted a One for Georgetown campaign for the three classes.

External Relations Chair of the 1634 Society Nicole Hassman (COL ’18) said the campaign adapted its goal for student donations from the past year, thereby ensuring that the full $100,000 donation from the anonymous alum could only be unlocked if the student body reached the donation goal.

“Last year we set our goal a little high. We set it at 2,500 [student donors] and we hit around the 1,700 range. So we set our goal for 1,789 this year, something that we thought was both feasible and a catchy number,” Hassman said.

One for Georgetown organizes daily food events for students who make their one-time donations to the campaign. Most of the food comes from popular Georgetown student groups such as Georgetown Bubble and Georgetown University Grilling Society along with popular restaurants like Wisemiller’s Grocery and Deli and Luke’s Lobster.

Philanthropy Co-Chair of 1634 Society Caitlin Garrabrant (SFS ’18) emphasized the popularity of this year’s food events, notably when Georgetown Bubble gave away bubble tea in Lauinger Library for a $1 donation on April 3 and working with the weekly farmers market to offer free food to participants.

During the collaboration process with vendors, Garrabrant said that several of the vendors have been enthusiastic, offering group discounts on orders. Hassman said the partnership and collaboration with neighborhood restaurants encourages greater student participation and involvement in 1634’s efforts.

“Finding Georgetown favorites like Wisey’s and GUGS is also always a big pull. Food events have always been really strong, and I think working with previously existing Georgetown groups is really helpful,” Hassman said.

As the campaign continues until its April 22 end, Garrabrant said she hopes students and the rest of the community will understand the significance of 1634’s efforts and how every individual’s contribution matters.

“One of the things people don’t realize is that the alumni donation is coming in so it’s actually a huge amount of money more than just the one dollar campaign. Also, it’s just a one-time donation, so once you have made your one donation you get to come to all the rest of the events,” Garrabrant said.

Angela Caprio (COL ’19) said she appreciates the campaign’s current efforts and understands how its impact both benefits those who will receive the scholarship and those who contribute.

“I think it’s a cool idea. It’s a cool way to give back to the community while getting free food. It feels like a win-win,” Caprio said.

Rachel Moss (MSB ’19), who participated in the campaign, said student contributions to the One for Georgetown campaign are small enough to be manageable for the entire student body and encourage community-wide involvement.

“It’s such a small amount of money that you don’t have to think twice about. I think that’s a great way to get everyone involved,” Moss said.