MEN’S LACROSSE | GU Dominates High Point in Season Opener

AMANDA VAN ORDEN FOR THE HOYA
Junior attackman Daniel Bucaro scored twice in Tuesday’s season opener for the Hoyas, in which Georgetown defeated High Point 15-5.

The Georgetown men’s lacrosse team came out for its season opener on Tuesday at home with a new roster in new uniforms hoping to achieve an outcome different from  last year’s season-opening loss against High Point.

The Hoyas accomplished this goal as they pieced together a 15-5 win against the Panthers (0-2) to earn their first victory of the season.

The offense struck early and often, starting with senior faceoff  specialist Peter Tagliaferri, who produced nine faceoff wins to kick-start the offense. Sophomore attackman Jake Carraway finished the job by torching High Point with five goals and an assist, totaling six points.

Just as impressive as the strong offense was the spread of the stat sheet. Although Carraway led the team, many of his other teammates contributed. Junior  attackmen Daniel Bucaro, Robert Clark and Austin McDonald each scored twice, while midfielders senior Craig Berge, junior Lucas Wittenberg, sophomore Massimo Bucci and senior Matt Behrens also found the back of the net.

The Hoyas (1-0) assisted each other on nine out of their 15 goals. Preseason all-Big East players Bucaro and Berge set up three goals apiece.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior goalkeeper Nick Marrocco proved why he came into this season as the NCAA Division I active career leader in saves. Marrocco was remarkable in the cage, allowing only three goals in over 50 minutes of play. He also recorded 12 saves and the win.

Defensemen sophomore Stephen MacLeod, senior Connor Moran and freshman defenseman Gibson Smith routinely forced High Point into bad shots. Senior midfielder Greg Galligan also contributed from the midfield position by forcing two turnovers.

Although Georgetown committed multiple unnecessary penalties, the team fought off man-down situations. They killed off all four of High Point’s man-up opportunities — including one when they were two men down — without allowing a goal.

Last year’s matchup between Georgetown and High Point was very different, as the Panthers won 9-3.

Yet on Tuesday, Georgetown’s dominating win came with many positive takeaways. The Hoyas’ offense was productive and efficient. The defense was stifling and new faces meshed well with returning veterans.

The team returns to action on Saturday as they travel to Moon Township, Pa., to take on Robert Morris (1-1).