SAILING | Squad Impresses Again Early in Season

The Georgetown sailing team continued its strong opening to the spring season with impressive performances at the Navy Quad Team Race and the Charleston Women’s Regatta.

The Hoyas again dominated Saturday and Sunday in a conference regatta in Annapolis, Md., as they claimed the top two spots. The Hoyas’ 2 boat, led by skippers freshman Andrew Person, seniors Roger Dorr and Jack Marshall and junior Andy Reitner, sailed a nearly perfect race with a record of 8/1.

The Hoyas’ 1 boat was right behind the 2 boat in a nail-biter, finishing with a record of 7/2.  The race represented a strong showing by the men as they went on to a comfortable victory ahead of Navy, Old Dominion and St. Mary’s.

The women’s team headed down south to Charleston, S.C., for the Charleston Women’s Regatta, its first big regatta of the season. The contest featured many teams over two different divisions, including the College of Charleston, Stanford, Boston University, Northwestern and The George Washington University. The sailing conditions were perfect, as temperatures peaked in the 70s and winds settled to eight to 12 miles per hour.

The Hoya sailors performed well, placing fifth overall out of 13 of the best teams in the country. The Hoyas ended with a total score of 144 while Charleston defended its home course, cruising to an 80-point win in the regatta.

Coach Mike Callahan (SFS ’97) was impressed with the regatta but expressed that the teams still have work to do.

“I was proud of the team, as it was their first true test of the season,” Callahan said. “There is still work to do, but I am happy with the start of the season.”

Georgetown has its own chance to defend its home March 3 at the GWU /Georgetown Team Race. Teams including Navy, Cornell, Hobart and William Smith Colleges and Penn will come to test the Hoyas, who look to defend their title from last spring’s event.