TENNIS | Women’s Team Falls to GWU in District Rivalry

GUHOYAS
Senior Daphne de C
GUHOYAS Senior Daphne de C
GUHOYAS
Senior Daphne de Chatellus won in the No. 4 position against George Washington University last weekend, defeating her opponent 6-7, 7-6, 10-6.

As the Big East Championships approach, the Georgetown women’s tennis team (3-11, 0-1 Big East) will have no shortage of competitive matches from which to draw inspiration. Georgetown, for the fifth time this season, dropped a match by a score of 4-3, this time against crosstown rival The George Washington University.

Going forward, the key for the Blue and Gray will be converting those close affairs into victories.

The women’s team competed at the GW Tennis Center last Wednesday, where its three wins came from the bottom of its singles lineup. Senior Drew Spinosa collected a point in the No. 3 slot with a straight set 6-4, 6-4 win. Two more upperclassmen earned victories in the Nos. 4 and 6 positions, as senior Daphne de Chatellus triumphed in a length 6-7, 7-6, 10-6 affair, while junior Sydney Goodson prevailed in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3.

GWU swept the doubles matches and earned three singles wins, setting the team up for a decisive four-point total.

Georgetown’s men’s tennis squad was scheduled to host St. Francis Brooklyn on April 4 before the match was cancelled April 2.

GU will be back in action this week when the men host GWU on Saturday. The women will travel to Fairfax, Va., next week to battle George Mason on April 19 in the squad’s final nonconference match of the season.

Sports Information could not be reached for comment.