MEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Open Season With Dominant Victory Over Lafayette

With the entire starting close defense squad returning from last season, the Georgetown University men’s lacrosse team held Lafayette College scoreless through the first 25:24 of play while the Blue and Gray offense put away nine unanswered goals. The Hoyas went on to a 17-3 victory in their season opener in Easton, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Feb. 8, with nine different Georgetown players finding the back of the net.

The Hoyas (1-0, 0-0 Big East) came out swinging, netting six goals in the first period against the Leopards (0-2, 0-0 Patriot League). Senior attacker Jake Carraway slotted the first goal just over a minute into the game. The fate of the game hung in the balance as the next nine minutes did not see any goals by either side.

In the last five minutes of the quarter, Georgetown scored five quick goals, setting the tone for the rest of the game. Of the streak of rapid-fire goals, three were scored by sophomore attacker Dylan Watson, one by Carraway and one by sophomore defender Alex Mazzone.

Georgetown’s offense slowed down slightly in the second quarter as the Hoyas scored three goals from junior midfielder Colin Munro, Watson and sophomore midfielder Declan McDermott. All three goals were assisted by fifth-year senior attacker Robert Clark, adding to his two from the first period to bring his assist count to a team high of five. Lafayette finally broke the seal with a goal near the end of the second period, bringing the score to 9-1.

The third period saw less action on the offensive end of play, with Georgetown notching a game-low two goals in the quarter as Lafayette fought to cut the deficit. Although the Hoyas only found the back of the net twice in the period, the Leopards were unable to come out on top, losing the period 2-1.  Georgetown’s goals were scored by Carraway and sophomore midfielder Peter Thomson, bringing the score to a commanding 11-2 lead for the Hoyas.

GU Hoyas | Senior attacker Jake Carraway keeps his eye on the prize as he looks for a scoring opportunity. Carraway recorded four goals and one assist against Lafayette on Saturday, helping lead the Hoyas to victory.

Georgetown found its rhythm again in the final quarter, scoring six more goals to close out a dominant season opener. Watson scored the first two tallies followed by Clark, who notched his first goal of the game. Carraway recorded his fourth goal of the game with 10 minutes left as freshman attacker Cade MacLeod and junior attacker Niko Gekas put away the final two goals. 

Lafayette tallied the final goal of the game with just under two minutes remaining, bringing the final score to 17-3.

Sophomore attack player Dylan Watson led the team with six goals and an assist. Since the matchup, Watson has been recognized as the first Big East Attack Player of the Week for this season. Mazzone joins Watson in earning honors with a selection to the Weekly Honor Roll. 

Carraway, who was named to the Preseason All-Big East Team, contributed an additional four goals and an assist. Carraway comes off 88 points from 57 goals and 31 assists last season, tying Georgetown’s single season record. 

Notably, the Hoyas outperformed the Leopards for ground balls, winning the battle 42-20. Georgetown also dominated on the offensive end, recording 52 shots and putting 30 of them on goal.  

Georgetown also held up defensively, allowing Lafayette 22 shots, only nine of which were on target. Junior goalkeeper Owen McElroy played 49 minutes, collected three saves and allowed just two goals. The Hoya defense forced 13 turnovers, led by freshman defender James Donaldson who forced three.

The Hoyas will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 3:30 p.m at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. Georgetown will make its home debut the following Saturday versus Fairfield University at Cooper Field at 12 p.m.