Georgetown Students Elect 11 GUSA Senators

Seven first-year senators and four at-large senators won their respective elections to serve in the Georgetown University Student Association (GUSA) Senate. 

Members of the student body elected the eleven senators during the Oct. 5-7 election cycle, with 27 candidates running for first-year senators and four candidates running for the at-large senate seats. The GUSA Election Commission announced the new senators Oct. 8.

In an Oct. 8 meeting, the GUSA Senate failed to approve the results of the executive election amid reports of alleged impropriety of bullying and harassment in an eleven to six vote. Despite the uncertified results of the executive election, the GUSA Senate unanimously voted to confirm the senate election. 

The platforms of the winning candidates feature accessible printing, infrastructure and representation of student groups and backgrounds. 

Julia Revill (SFS ’27), a newly elected first-year senator, said she was thankful for the support of her peers and looks forward to becoming more involved in student life. 

“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to work with fellow Georgetown students to make campus a better place for us all,” Revill wrote to The Hoya. 

Emily Bertanzetti (CAS ’25), Daniel Hermonstine (SFS ’26), Fahad Shahbaz (SOH ’26) and Sahar Wakilzada (SFS ’26) won the uncontested at-large senate seats. 

Hermonstine said he aims to increase printing efficiency, create a meal swipe weekly rollover system and modify the organizational structure of finances. 

“I plan on fostering personal and professional connections with my fellow senators, building trust so that they will be willing to work with me,” Hermonstine wrote to The Hoya. “It is my intention for the word collaboration to define my tenure as a GUSA Senator. Quite simply put, the work that needs to be done to fix our school cannot be done alone!”

The seven winners of the first-year seats out of 27 candidates were Lex Njomin (SFS ’27), Nico Santiago (CAS’27), Rai Muhammad Hasen Masood (CAS ’27), Keatyn Wede (CAS ’27), Han Li (CAS ’27), Sahil Sud (SFS ’27) and Revill. 

Santiago said he believes his campaign’s focus on issues like student resources with printing and dining halls and his role as a student-athlete on the swimming and diving team encouraged voters to support his campaign. 

“I believe that pointing out the low representation of student-athletes in GUSA helped students recognize the benefit of electing a student-athlete to the Senate,” Santiago wrote to The Hoya.

Wikipedia Commons | Seven first-years and four at-large senators won their respective elections to serve in the Georgetown University Student Association Senate.

Santiago, in a previous interview with The Hoya, said he will support student-athletes as a representative of this group. 

Santiago said his first plan as a GUSA senator is to add staplers to each printing location on campus. He said he has already drafted legislation for the project and hopes to pitch it to the rest of the senate soon.

“Although it may seem like a smaller-scale project, I believe that it has a good chance of being supported by my fellow senators, students, and administration,” Santiago wrote. 

Revill said her campaign for Class of 2027 senator focused on making facilities and maintenance requests more accessible for students through speeding up turnaround times. 

“I hope to streamline the process for handling maintenance requests, and I’m ultimately striving to enhance the overall quality of our living and learning environment,” Revill wrote.

Revill added that this goal of making maintenance requests more accessible unites students, GUSA and facilities by furthering student engagement in this process. 

“If we are able to commit ourselves to increased transparency within the Georgetown community, the community will understand that GUSA is committed to Georgetown students, and thus the community will become more engaged,” Revill wrote. 

In his new position as a first-year senator, Sud said he hopes to improve the dining hall experience at the student dining location Epicurean & Company by fixing the kiosks and to improve the temperature in dorms due to a lack of student ability to effectively regulate temperatures. 

“I have personally talked to a number of students interested in improving temperature control and creating a digital alternative to Epi’s announcing food,” Sud wrote to The Hoya. “By demonstrating student approval for these plans, I will be able to convince my fellow GUSA members of the urgency of these issues and implement these plans.”

Wede, who is from rural South Dakota, said she looks forward to representing rural voices as a first-year GUSA senator. 

“I think that we’re very overlooked on campus, there’s not that many of us,” Wede told The Hoya. “We’re definitely a minority of sorts. I think it is important that everyone is represented and everyone has a seat at the table.”

Sud said he is ready to work with the newly elected senators, GUSA and the student body to implement the legislative goals of improving dining and student dorm temperature, as explained in his campaign. 

“I feel humbled by the opportunity to work with my fellow GUSA board members, and I can’t wait to use student organizing to create change on our campus,” Sud wrote. “I hope to involve my fellow students in policymaking and make sure that everyone can impact the political process.”