Friday Fixat10ns: Break Ups and Reunions

Friday Fixat10ns: Break Ups and Reunions from thehoya on 8tracks Radio.

I thought I needed a break when I ended things with my boyfriend. The Spice Girls thought they needed a break when they ran out of spice. The difference between these two things is that the Spice Girls’ reunion was epic enough to earn them a worldwide concert tour and a spot in the closing night of the Olympic Games. I, on the other hand, am still single.

Regardless of the woes of my personal life, I’ll admit that getting back together can sometimes lend itself to something greater than before. Two bands that can attest to this are the Killers and Ben Folds Five. The former released “Battle Born”, an emotionally charged album one should not listen to while sad. Ben Folds Five’s album, emerging after a mere 13 years, makes me want to square dance. And while the reason behind that is beyond me,  the tracks are undoubtedly strange and enticing.

This week, I’ll be sharing songs by bands that made the (sometimes) wise decision to reunite after spending time apart (even if it’s just for a tour).

Flesh and Bone — The Killers You can’t even listen to the first ten seconds of this song without wanting to listen to the whole thing.

Wannabe — The Spice Girls I wanna be their lovers all day long. Preferably Posh and her husband’s.

Battle Born — The Killers What I describe as a languid, chill, country rock jam.

Every Breath You Take — The Police “Every breath you take, and every move you make. Every bond you break, every step you take, I’ll be watching you ” Rather creepy. This was my parents’ wedding song.

Big Love — Fleetwood Mac Rumored to be having a reunion tour in 2013. Keep your eyes peeled.

I Hate the Kids — Hot Snakes Please listen to this song if you’re feeling like you want to punch that ex I was talking about in the face.

Take it Easy — The Eagles All Georgetown students should abide by these lyrics.  Most of them will not.

Here Comes Your Man — The Pixies Here comes my man? I’ll believe it when I see it.

One Last Breath — Creed Though I’m slightly frightened by the intensity of his mostly black eyes in this music video, the song is a classic. If you see me around campus, please ask for a Creed impersonation. I’m proud of it.

Do it Anyway — Ben Folds Five Great, great, great new song. Upbeat. True. Risky. This song is like a wonderful pecan pie.